Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewy

New
Reaction score
Over New Years, I'm looking to get my AOW in the Florida Keys somewhere in Key West. The only problem is that there seems to be so many dive ops to choose from.

For those of you from the area or who have been to area, can you recommend a dive op. We have our own equipment, we'll just need tanks and weights.

We're also looking for somewhere to stay for a fairly cheap price. It doesn't have to be 5 star, 2-3 star is fine as long as it's clean, has a bed and a shower, and is close to a beach.

So what have you got for me?

Thanks.

Drewy:
Over New Years, I'm looking to get my AOW in the Florida Keys somewhere in Key West. The only problem is that there seems to be so many dive ops to choose from.

For those of you from the area or who have been to area, can you recommend a dive op. We have our own equipment, we'll just need tanks and weights.

We're also looking for somewhere to stay for a fairly cheap price. It doesn't have to be 5 star, 2-3 star is fine as long as it's clean, has a bed and a shower, and is close to a beach.

So what have you got for me?

Thanks.

When in Key West I dive with either South Pointe Divers (Duval Street) or Captian's Corner (Ann Street).

I go 2 -4 times per year and have had great results with both. SPD has a 46' Newton Dive Cat and Captians Corner has a boat that was in James Bond Film (I cannot remember which one).

Both have excellent staff and are good choices. Proces are about the same.

I dove with Dive Key West
All dives were Okay
Rob Z Great DM

Bob

another votee for dive key west! The whole crew was spectacular... ask for mike as your instructor :wink:

I like Innerspace in Big Pine Key. Matt is the captain and he has a great trip. You can get your aow by diving the Busch. Excellent wreck. There is a nice resort called Palmers and it is pretty nice and away from the crowds but close to Key West.

I wouldn't dive Key West, the diving is actually the worst in the Keys in my opinion. Key West is the best for night life, but not for diving. All of the dive sites are crowded, the boats are always jam packed, and they really cater more to divers than snorklers. I would guess that you would have a tough time finding one willing to take you to a deep enough place to do the deep dive.
Big Pine Key is an excellent spot for diving due to its proximity to Looe Key (some of the best diving in the Keys). The only commercial opporator that I have dove with in BPK is Underseas. If you go through them ask for Big Al, he is a riot, I've also dove with some of his former divers (Even had one in a rescue class) and they are excellent divers as well.
I haven't stayed at Parmers, but have heard all good things about that place. If you are out for the night life, BPK might not be the best place to stay, The only bar that is open late is Coconuts and it isn't exactly all that great, also, the drive back from Key west is quite long late at night.
If you want great diving an a great night life my advice would be to stay in Key West (I would recomend the Douglas House, very nice condos which sleep up to 6 people and we paid $127 a night) only a block off of Duval, so right near the action, but far enough from the excitement that you can sleep when you want to. Rent a car and Drive to BPK to do the diving. In KW definatly stop off at Irish Kevins.

Hope this helps.

Polly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom