Kids scuba gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichelleC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My son has been taking discover scuba lessons in an indoors pool and loves it. He longs to dive in the open water and can be certified through the sdi program on his 10th birthday in April. I am yet to find gear to fit a child of his stature. He is 4'6" and about 65lbs. Does anyone know where to purchase children's gear or used gear, as i'm not looking forward to replacing his suit yearly.

My son was certified at age 10 as well. As far as BC and wetsuit, I currently have him in an Aqualung Wave Jr. BC, and a Deep Sea 3/2 child's wetsuit. He's wearing men's small boots, and for his first year, until the boots fit him well, we used dive socks to help make it more comfortable. With this setup, the Wave should last him another couple of years, and the boots should last another year or two also until he hits a growth spurt. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to suck it up and purchase a new wetsuit for him every couple of years, as he's at that age where he's growing fast.

Sounds like time to buy an aluminum 40.

Ron

Zeagle's Concept II is also designed with growing divers in mind.

Tell him he has to wait until he's 14 and has a job to buy his own gear. You'll help him of course when the time comes. He'll respect it ALOT more and he won't take diving for granted. Plus, you'll save a boat load of cash for gear that won't get used. I'm a Dad too and I've really learned that patience is a virtue.

Jim

If you do get him a 40 (or steel 45 or 50), you can manifold it with another identical tank later when he needs more air.

But don't dive with them as doubles your self or you won't want to give them back to your son.:D

Ron

My son has been taking discover scuba lessons in an indoors pool and loves it. He longs to dive in the open water and can be certified through the sdi program on his 10th birthday in April. I am yet to find gear to fit a child of his stature. He is 4'6" and about 65lbs. Does anyone know where to purchase children's gear or used gear, as i'm not looking forward to replacing his suit yearly.

I have two drager BCD's XS and two wet suits. One 7mm farmer John and one 6.5 mm one peice. The BCDs will fit your son now along with the wet suits. I'll send ya a picture of them tommrrow for I am at work now. I'll PM ya............

Norther Diver

If you still have this gear I would be interested in the pictures, we are looking for gear for our 12year old nephew who is getting certified.

Thanks

I bought my 10year old daughter the transpac from dive rite. I dive one with a rec wing, they have sizes down to XS but I bought the small as I can size it down for now, but will last her a long time. It will easily adjust for any size tank as she will be using al40's to start. I got the trek wing which is very small and compact and gives enough lift for up to a steel lp 100. As she gets older, I can get her mediaum shoulder straps to extend the life, and when the time comes to upgrade her harness, the wing will fit the new harness.

I dive a transpac because of the freedom of motion and the light weight. Check out dive rite express at Dive Rite Express, they have a few videos so you can see how it works. I bought hers from dolphin scuba via ebay for exactly $500 for transpac harness, travel wing, crotch strap and 16# ditchable weight pocket. They shipped it fully assembled and it was here fast. I did a "make an offer" on ebay.

If he doesn't use it much, they hold value pretty well, expensive rig for a kid, but the light weight and ease of use will make thier diving more enjoyable.

As for the tanks, most LDS will rent AL63's. Her sac rate is so much lower than mine that she is fine with a 40 if I use an 80, if I use a 100, then we rent a 63 for her. (the 40 also doubles as a stage bottle)

Diving is a life long sport. Kudos for getting your son in at such an early age.

Back
Top Bottom