Kill any giant/interesting sealife you find?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05:
I didn't make my statement because of endangered species. I feel the way I do because of killing any creature period. A fisherman catching an interesting species in his net should immediately set it free unless he wants to eat it. Not call the media to take pictures and get a trophy. Wether or not it's becoming extinct doesn't matter. As a fisherman or diver, if it's dead then by all means keep it. But if its still alive let it be. A beached whale isn't dead till its dead. They try to rescue it first. My comment isn't because I'm worried about creatures becoming extinct. Its about people with the idea that "if it's interesting, I'll pull it out of the water because most likely it's going to die and I want my 5 minutes of fame today."

As has been stated numerous times already, the squid was near death from the ascent to 1 ATA. It was not going to survive.

Your first post also states that you're not a tree hugger, but the attitude of your post above would certainly lead one to believe otherwise.

all4scuba05 (sig line):
Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them. Edward W. Howe
A group of politicians deciding to dump a President because his morals are bad is like the Mafia getting together to bump off the Godfather for not going to church on Sunday. Russel Baker

So let me get this straight...you don't want us to kill any creature of the sea because it's just wrong, but you glorify a quote lamenting that some people can't be killed because the law prevents it? Hmmmmmm....

Again, there are many, many cases (and the giant and colossal squid may turn out to fall into this catagory someday) where what we learn from taking, studying, and dissecting a specimen today turns out to be a valuable tool in saving the species tomorrow.

Let's look at it this way. Would you prefer for us to allow deer to be hunted in the midwestern United States, or would you prefer to leave all the bambies alive so they can and will starve to death in the winter because we already killed off all the wolves that are supposed to be taking their share? Answer that question, and we'll have our answer on whether or not you're a tree hugger, as you so eloquently phrased it yourself...

I say we reintroduce wolves, mountain lions, and grizzlies in the east, plesiosaurs and megalodons in the oceans and let nature take it's course. If the animals take a few humans while they are at it so be it. Maybe some of the radical conservationists will be the first to get eaten and we can then go back and hunt and put things where they are supposed to be. After that whenever a loony tree hugger comes along just feed em to whatever we don't kill as a sacrifice.

JimLap:
I say we reintroduce wolves, mountain lions, and grizzlies in the east, plesiosaurs and megalodons in the oceans and let nature take it's course. If the animals take a few humans while they are at it so be it. Maybe some of the radical conservationists will be the first to get eaten and we can then go back and hunt and put things where they are supposed to be. After that whenever a loony tree hugger comes along just feed em to whatever we don't kill as a sacrifice.

LOL Thankfully, reintroduced wolves are doing well in Wisconsin. They still have a LONG way to go, but it is a start...

Plesiosaurs? Megalodons? I think you'll have a hard time pulling that one off... :D

I don't know why, but all of a sudden I am really looking forward to calling up and killing a spring gobbler. Or two, or three......

Animals kill each other, it's their nature. Humans being smarter and having developed a significant technology kill more than other animals. Humans are also quite good at killing each other and in the end, it may all balance out.

fisherdvm:
I think you do have to kill a few creatures once in a while to understand about them. ....

I can think of a few people I'd like to understand better.

Back
Top Bottom