Kill any giant/interesting sealife you find?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05:
I'm not a "tree hugger" or "save the dolphins" type of person.
I'm more of a "save the children".

But lately it seems that whenever an interesting or gigantic sea creature gets found or caught, it's not enough that it was seen. They pull the creature out of the water, let it die, and send it to some scientist/marine biologist/museum so that they can then study the now dead creature.
It was an increduble LIVE creature and is now a DEAD one.

I say take a picture and let it live.

Audobon society is a great conservation organization. But its founder, James Audubon, shoots his birds first, painted them, and studied them.

I think you do have to kill a few creatures once in a while to understand about them. .... Knocking off one or two for scientific purpose is OK, but mass slaughter in the name of "science" so you can harvest endangered species is a ploy to get around international law for some countries.

Meng_Tze:
one squid caught? We don't even know how many there are, let alone if it is endangered.

exactly...some folks here keep ignoring the fact that my first post was a statement about many sea creatures. I watch the documentaries. There have been numerous specious taken from the ocean just because they were interesting. Hell, seems some of you are ok with the idea that every scientist should feel free to keep taking them. What the hell, we'll never run out. We KNOW there are plenty left in the ocean. None will ever be extinct. Sound like stupid statements to me.

So idiotic to go around as divers saying that you dive in such a way so as not to touch the coral and thereby killing it. Yet then act like it's not a big deal to continue to remove "interesting" species from earth's waters even if it kills them.

I think if we are really earnest about saving these big sea creatures, we would start helping them by giving up driving our vehicles, going by bus or car pool, use less plastic products, eat no farmed shrimps, assume a vegetarian diet, use less electricity, live in smaller houses, etc. etc..

But why do you suppose 95% are never in the car pool lane, and why many of us drive big gas guzzlers??

But we scream when we see a sea creature killed... Americans are a bunch of hypocrits.... And I am proud to be an American...

all4scuba05:
exactly...some folks here keep ignoring the fact that my first post was a statement about many sea creatures. I watch the documentaries. There have been numerous specious taken from the ocean just because they were interesting. Hell, seems some of you are ok with the idea that every scientist should feel free to keep taking them. What the hell, we'll never run out. We KNOW there are plenty left in the ocean. None will ever be extinct. Sound like stupid statements to me.

So idiotic to go around as divers saying that you dive in such a way so as not to touch the coral and thereby killing it. Yet then act like it's not a big deal to continue to remove "interesting" species from earth's waters even if it kills them.

Well, the species in question on this thread, the squid, as stated numerous times, is clearly NOT endangered. Even though we haven't seen them swimming around in schools of hundreds, or catch them on more than rare occasions, there is not a sperm whale in the ocean over a few years old that doesn't have scars all over his head from the battles he has had with these beasts. Stranded and dead sperm whales invariably will have a carcass or two in their bellies. Imperical evidence goes beyond seeing live creatures swimming around at depths we could never go to.

Frilled shark - your earlier post assumes we know nothing of this creature because it is rare. It has, however, been caught on film...in it's natural depth. The one that was captured and later died was clearly not well, comparing it to its healthy counterparts that have been observed before.

I have a feeling if you do a little bit of research instead of playing the jump to conclusions game, you will find that the vast majority of the endangered species in the oceans live well above the 2000 ft mark. You don't have to worry about giant or colossal squid being decimated by fishing, because they are of no commercial value. Their flesh is inedible, and we can't bring them to the surface intact, so we don't have to worry about them being captured for the public aquarium or :)D) pet trade.

Now, if you post was in regard to the fact that these guys were out catching chilean sea bass when they caught this monster, I would say you were on to a worthy cause...

all4scuba05:
...lately it seems that whenever an interesting or gigantic sea creature gets found or caught, it's not enough that it was seen. They pull the creature out of the water, let it die, and send it to some scientist/marine biologist/museum so that they can then study the now dead creature.
It was an incredible LIVE creature and is now a DEAD one.

I say take a picture and let it live.

+1
Good post; thank you.

It is worth a heck of a lot more to our understanding of giant squids dead and dissected than it is alive in the ocean. It's not like the guys killed it to stick it in a freezer trailer and drive it around charging two bucks to look at it. I am sure some biologist is studying it right now.

Seriously, how do you think we learn what they eat, how their body works, and everything else about them? The same way we learned about every other animal -- cut it apart and see what's inside.

all4scuba05:

... any more idiotic than professing squid love and peaceful co-existance with creatures that would happily use you for an appetizer... but having a sig line that bemoans the fact that you can't kill men??

... just askin'...

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not like the guys killed it to stick it in a freezer trailer and drive it around charging two bucks to look at it. I am sure some biologist is studying it right now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, more likely they have it tied on the hood of their SUV as they go about professing how they are saving the planet by killing it, oops, studying it--dead.

Well, maybe they should just dynamite all the coral heads off so they can do their coral dating/coring experiments.

Saving something by killing it is a perverse sort of logic. N

As a marine biologist I have been involved in many discussions about killing or not killing (for study purposes) and my conclusion is that every case is different and should be handled differently.

In the case of the giant&colossal squid, my opinion is that, it should be taken for study, since it is an isolated situation, is not like there is a giant squid taken every day from the depths. There might be some biological features that may help solve a lot of unknown processes in biology. Processes that could be fundamental for biomedical research for example.
See jah!

Back
Top Bottom