Kill any giant/interesting sealife you find?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05:
But lately it seems that whenever an interesting or gigantic sea creature gets found or caught, it's not enough that it was seen. They pull the creature out of the water, let it die, and send it to some scientist/marine biologist/museum so that they can then study the now dead creature......
I say take a picture and let it live.

Well two things here

(1) Often undescribed marine species are from deep water. The ones that are found are usually dying (hence their appearance in the shallows). It is also often the case that new species are discovered in fishing nets or hooked on lines, often dead or dying.
(2) Until recently scientific SOP required a specimen for the description of a new species. This means that a for a new species to be described, someone has to have a dead one in their office or museum. Fortunately this has changed! Recently a scientist described a new bird species with a combination of photographic and DNA evidence. This was judged to be an acceptable practice (I think I read about it in either Dec 06 or Jan 07's Smithsonian magazine) by the scientific community and will hopefully continue to become the SOP.

There has never been a giant squid caught alive nor seen in its habitat alive, most specimins get washed up. The reason that we know their is alot of them is from the stomach of sperm whales and the production of Ambagris which is produced by the whales in response to their inability to digest the beak.

Ambergris is the binding agent used in expensive perfumes. So clearly it is readily available - - - albeit more expensive than gold

lktmpl:
There has never been a giant squid caught alive nor seen in its habitat alive, most specimins get washed up. The reason that we know their is alot of them is from the stomach of sperm whales and the production of Ambagris which is produced by the whales in response to their inability to digest the beak.

Ambergris is the binding agent used in expensive perfumes. So clearly it is readily available - - - albeit more expensive than gold

You're a few years behind (and haven't read the whole thread). 2004, a giant squid was captured on film in its natrual environment, by following sperm whales. A camera was lowered to close to 3000 ft, with a bait rig attached. The squid took the bait in front of the camera, and snagged a tentacle on the camera rig. He struggled with the camera for about an hour, as the camera snapped off around 500 pictures. When they brought the rig up, it had about a 20 ft section of tentacle attached, still twitching.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4288772.stm

Then last year, the story broke that the same scientist followed the same procedure, this time bringing back a live specimen of archeteuthus. He didn't survive long after capture, but they did get it on film.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,238263,00.html

Then this week, the story broke that a colossal was caught by a group of fishermen off the shore of New Zeland as they were fishing for Patagonian Toothfish. They had a toothfish on the line, when the colossal came along and chowed down on their catch. They reeled him in alive and transported him for study, but the squid didn't survive long after capture.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inane/2333

I think we should just kill them all. Along withthe manatees, Bald Eagle, And definately all the sharks while were at it.

gangrel441:
Well, the species in question on this thread, the squid, as stated numerous times, is clearly NOT endangered. I have a feeling if you do a little bit of research instead of playing the jump to conclusions game, you will find that the vast majority of the endangered species in the oceans live well above the 2000 ft mark. You don't have to worry about giant or colossal squid being decimated by fishing, because they are of no commercial value.

I didn't make my statement because of endangered species. I feel the way I do because of killing any creature period. A fisherman catching an interesting species in his net should immediately set it free unless he wants to eat it. Not call the media to take pictures and get a trophy. Wether or not it's becoming extinct doesn't matter. As a fisherman or diver, if it's dead then by all means keep it. But if its still alive let it be. A beached whale isn't dead till its dead. They try to rescue it first. My comment isn't because I'm worried about creatures becoming extinct. Its about people with the idea that "if it's interesting, I'll pull it out of the water because most likely it's going to die and I want my 5 minutes of fame today."

all4scuba05:
I didn't make my statement because of endangered species. I feel the way I do because of killing any creature period. A fisherman catching an interesting species in his net should immediately set it free. Not call the media to take pictures and get a trophy. Whether or not it's becoming extinct doesn't matter. As a fisherman or diver, if it's dead then by all means keep it. But if its still alive let it be. A beached whale isn't dead till its dead. They try to rescue it first. My comment isn't because I'm worried about creatures becoming extinct. Its about people with the idea that if it's interesting, I'll pull it out of the water because most likely it's going to die and I want my 5 minutes of fame today.

Great post.
We have a clear winner, if there needs to be one, for this thread debate.:coffee:

stepup:
I think we should just kill them all. Along withthe manatees, Bald Eagle, And definately all the sharks while were at it.

Yes we can learn a lot more from them if they're dead.

mmm, it is a toughee! I think if they are hooked and pulled up by accident then there is not much anyone can do but study it. Why throw it back if it is going to die anyway?

All I have to say is, giant squid are hot!

I would be pretty shocked to find out that if you drag one up from 2000 feet, let it go, it would swim away and be fine and healthy. I think it's a pretty safe bet that it was done for by that point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom