Kirby Morgan Superflow second stage- should I ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
I love metal second stages, it is partly a nostalgic thing from starting scuba diving in the 1970’s, partly because they just look so cool, and partly because they are made to last! So I have a number of them and my best examples are a mint Conshelf Supreme and Scubapro 156, both currently on a freshly serviced AL Titan first stage. Although frankly they look better on my MR22 Mares first stage!
The Conshelf and 156 seconds breath OK but both deliver a spray of salt water on anything more than a gentle inhalation. I have looked for the reason- not the mouthpiece fit, diaphragms and exhaust valves are good, clamps are tight- don’t know! But for that reason I have never been 100% satisfied with them.

The KB Superflow 350 metal second stage has been in my sights for at least a few years and here’s why:
It is a classic good looking current manufacture metal second stage.
It has a roller on the demand valve lever (I think that’s cool)
It is user adjustable in cracking pressure from stiff to free flow, that works for me because I like that degree of control and when fully backed off it will take all pressure off the LP seat.
It is made for professional use and therefore should be manufactured to very high standards- hopefully with no wet breathing issues.
Anyway, I have one in a “shopping cart” for $367 and am about to hit “pay”, anyone know why I shouldn’t?

@Akimbo for an informed reply.

A few questions for my own curiosity. What's your plan for servicing it? Is the one you are purchasing suitable to use with a conventional mouthpiece?

images (30).jpeg

To speculate about the wet breathing, sounds like the wrong size/dirty, not seating exhaust valve. Sometimes if they are lubed they mist as dirt collects on the mushroom. You've clearly done your trouble shooting already, this is just a scattershot suggestion to double check. Mine don't wet breathe after some fruitless troubleshooting and randomly swapping parts till something worked.

I like your taste in regs!

Cameron

I would be intending to service it myself, that’s what I have done previously with my Conshelf and the service kits for the KB are apparently readily available. Re- the wet breathing. I have cleaned the seats of the exhaust seats in both the Conshelf and SP regs and installed new mushroom valves. They both breath great, but a minor wet breathing issues persists!

Check to see if the fit of the joint where the inlet barrel is welded to the body of the second stage... I had a 2nd stage conshelf xiv that was wet on breathing. There was a really small spot that was not soldered, and water would leak in.. fixed it with a small bit to expoy

I love metal second stages, it is partly a nostalgic thing from starting scuba diving in the 1970’s, partly because they just look so cool, and partly because they are made to last!

So basically you are saying it is an object of desire. I see no reason not to get one if you want it and find it to be a fair value. As for wet breathing, I have never noticed any on the metal body Conshelfs built by US Divers/Aqua Lung or Kirby Morgan.

Looking at the Kirby Morgan website it states the superflow regs are not recommended for Enriched air above 23.5 %. Why is this?

is it just a statement of liability thing cuz regs dont need to be 02 cleaned for nitrox 40% and below as im sure you know....

The super flow regulators that are listed as "scuba" second stages do not have the threaded outlet. They accept a standard mouthpiece but a long one works better. The threaded outlet is for use on a band mask or super lite helmet. All kirby morgan products are superb. I have several of the plastic super flows, both the kirby branded ones and the identical abyss explorers. They are had to beat and have a huge range of adjustment

Back
Top Bottom