Kirby Morgan Superflow second stage- should I ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of you may be interested to know that Scubapro regulators were used on some of the very early demand masks made for working out of a diving bell:

upload_2018-5-26_9-59-36.png

Bob Kirby describes in his book, Hard Hat Divers Wear Dresses, that the US Divers regulators were chosen over the Scubapro when the Dial-a-Breath was introduced because it was more easily modified. The USD hose came into the second stage housing parallel to the diaphragm and the Scubapro was angled back.

Some of you may be interested to know that Scubapro regulators were used on some of the very early demand masks made for working out of a diving bell....

Do I remember correctly some Aquadine Mask and Pots used ScubaPro second stages? I tended a guy when I lived/worked out of Morgan City, La. who had an Aquadine Pot. We had a similar mask at the commercial diving school I attended.

Most of my commercial time (not much) underwater was in a KMB10.

I'm happy to hear your went ahead with the purchase and are enjoying it!

@couv I did a little search and come up with this (don't know if it is a modern modification) History General Aquadyne
IMG_3284ws.jpg

I did a little search and come up with this
Thanks Cameron,

I guess it helps to spell the name correctly. :) That is a more modern version of the "mask" we had at the school. I don't recall the adjustment knob being that long. Incidentally, the fitting in the band just above the demand regulator normally has a stem with an external knob. The diver pushes the stem in and put his nose on a V shaped pad when he needs to equalize his ears then pulls it back out of the way.

dmc7_sr.jpg

^^ is a dry helmet and similar to the one I mentioned previously.

@couv and @northernone

Aquadyne was a machine shop in Santa Barbara that made parts for several of the small mask and hat manufacturers in the area, which were little more than part-time garage operations at that point. Their gear was well crafted but light on innovation. The mask had the hard seal -- open cell foam backed wetsuit material glued to the fiberglass. That design was abandoned by Kirby Morgan when an a abalone diver got his eyes sucked out of his sockets when a hose failed near the surface and the check valve failed. That accident inspired the soft seal on the Band Masks. See: Bev Morgan, Diving Industry Pioneer, Post #3, Innovations

Back
Top Bottom