Kit feedback wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wtfkaratemonkey

Registered
Reaction score
hi again!

Before going to the certification class I would like to purchase my own gear. It’s allowed by the instructor and I will personally feel more comfortable when I’m off on my own after the class knowing that I’m using the same equipment. I also know that I need it anyway.

I have been reading and was planning to piece one together and then I came across this one. The reviews are encouraging and I’m just looking for feedback on the gear included in this kit as well as pricing.

Cressi R1 BCD Leonardo Dive Computer AC2 Compact Regulator Set GupG Reg BagScuba Diving Package White Reg XL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P1S30NA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-i3BBbD08BBTP

There's nothing wrong with Cressi gear but that's just an average deal,

Two things - make sure you have a Cressi dealer nearby for service or you'll have to send the regs in annually.

It's a jacket BC which is kind of entry level. Many people use them during training - and they're what rental fleets most often provide since they're the most generic to size and configure. Retailers upsell a lot of new divers into better jackets because they're familiar. I recommend jackets for people who like the feeling of floating vertically high on the surface. Some people like the way it squeezes you also when inflated - I don't.

Many people like back-inflate designs as it outs the air on your back so easier to trim out in a horizontal position which you'll be in most of the time They're a little more money but you only buy it once.

Also that one is not going to fold real wall if you plan to travel - Cressi makes a Travelight model for that instead.

There's a lot of places to buy packages online.

If you want that gear - price it at Leisurepro.com. Since you don't live in NY (no tax) - call them - sometimes they offer better than advertised deals. I also buy from scubatoys.com and occasionally diversdirect.com but they may be a little higher. Dive Right In Scuba is another popular retailer often mentioned here, They're the closest - in Plainfield IL. Lancaster who is selling that package is Lancaster Scuba in PA.

I would spend some time talking to your instructor although be aware that store policies may limit what he recommends based on their discount/marketing structure. For ex. - a Scubapro Platinum dealer only sells that brand. It's good gear but at a premium price.

Last edited:
hi again!

Before going to the certification class I would like to purchase my own gear. It’s allowed by the instructor and I will personally feel more comfortable when I’m off on my own after the class knowing that I’m using the same equipment. I also know that I need it anyway.

I have been reading and was planning to piece one together and then I came across this one. The reviews are encouraging and I’m just looking for feedback on the gear included in this kit as well as pricing.

Cressi R1 BCD Leonardo Dive Computer AC2 Compact Regulator Set GupG Reg BagScuba Diving Package White Reg XL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P1S30NA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-i3BBbD08BBTP

while that package will work, it is no better than what you find on rental fleets. just hold off and use rental gear for the class.

or get a bpw and regs from dgx with a wrist computer. or a zeagle covert if you don't feel comfortable going straight to bpw.

Aqua Lung i300 Wrist Computer
Zeagle Covert BCD
DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Single Tank Reg Package
DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

Wait. Only buy personal gear unless there is a very specific reason to get something else -like maybe a wetsuit if you are very difficult to fit. It's the rare shop that is going to tell you to wait, as selling gear is how they make money (not classes so much.) But you really don't know what you'll want before you've learned to dive. And there's always a chance you won't like it or have a problem. You'll be lucky if you even know right after, but you've at least got a better chance of liking what you buy. Otherwise you'll have good odds of being stuck with things you soon don't like (or rebuying and making someone else happy when they get your barely used gear cheap on eBay.)

Trying a few different things can help you figure out what you want, and in a way is actually good training. You will get 100 opinions here on what to buy, and have no way yet to judge what applies to you.

Outside of getting a mask, fins/booties that fit you, a wet/dry suit appropriate for local diving would be my first buy. The sports takes practice to get comfortable and local diving is the answer.

That being said, there are many good reasons to get your personal dive computer and understand what it is telling you. No better time than OWC training when you have an instructor to help you. I just replaced an ancient Suunto Vyper with the Aqualung i300 from Leisurepro (thank you Leisurepro for the $50 gift card I won at the '18 SB Invasion of Coz). Great deal if you don't mind being on the bleeding edge of technology. Specific advise on buying a dive computer, make sure it handles NITROX and has user replaceable batteries.

Get your mask, snorkel, and fins. Use the gear in the class to see what you do or don't like. Try and rent different types of gear after youryo certified and then decide on a purchase.

hi again!

Where are you going to dive? E.g. if you plan to travel, Aqualung Mikron may be a better choice of the regulator. If you plan to dive in cold water, you may want to go with Cressi MC9SC instead of an AC2. PMS apparently does not ship to US from their main store, but will sell via e-bay: google for planet multi e-bay store and check out their regulator sets.

Aqualung computer linked by @runsongas is better than the Leonardo, unless you absolutely insist on a console-mounted one.

Again, if you plan on traveling, Aqualung Outlaw or Rogue (or Zeagle Covert above) will pack much better that any jacket BCD. And there's 80% chance any of them will fit better than a jacket.

PS. for that money I could be tempted to buy the "this year's Mikron + i300C" package from LP and start saving up on a BCD while figuring out if I wanted a jacket or back-inflate or a plate and wing.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with all those saying "wait"--you don't know enough yet to make the kinds of decisions you'll need to make viz. jacket, back-inflate, backplate, safe second vs. octo, etc. But FWIW, I own the Zeagle Covert and love it. They've just come out with an upgraded version, which I haven't tried, but my original Covert is super light, great for traveling, and performs terrifically underwater. It (and similar BCs) isn't as comfortable on the surface as the air bag is in the back and thus pushes one's torso forward, but that is a small inconvenience/price to pay against what is otherwise a wonderful piece of kit (as the Brits would say).

Personally, I would agree with those people saying to wait.

Some people like the sound of Scuba but don't get on with the reality. Others have issues with skills or just plain find that they can't dive as much as they thought they would. That makes the purchase of a full gear set an expensive ornament.

Buy the personal items if you want (mask, fins, snorkel) and leave the rest until you are certified. Once you are you can decide what you want to get armed with a bit more knowledge.

@ReadyDiverOne - the "pushing the diver forward" that people bring up with back inflate can often be a weighting issue (weights too far forward) as well as a slight technique thing - sit in the harness with legs up (like sitting in a chair) and you will probably find you don't.

the "pushing the diver forward" that people bring up with back inflate can often be a weighting issue (weights too far forward) as well as a slight technique thing - sit in the harness with legs up (like sitting in a chair) and you will probably find you don't.
It can be a weighting thing, and I had to mess with weights alot to fix it. But it is a legit issue for tropical divers who are wearing little exposure protection, and probably using AL tanks (rather than steel tanks as many prefer in cold water.) And some folks find techniques to address the (supposedly non-existent) issue, such as leaning back, to be quite uncomfortable.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom