kitting up routine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1+.

When they've left, I continue where I left off.

I just have never forgotten my guitar lessons as a kid... make a mistake and start over... Interrupted = fail for me and a restart the checklist and continue once back to the point of interruption.

When diving with a buddy I expect the offer and return in kind, but prefer to do it myself. I hate rushing though so it's a looooonnngggg slllllooooowwww process.

I can't stand people touching my gear, I never have been able to stand it, even when I was just out of OW. Especially touching my valves and the ever so helpful "you should put 1/4 turn back" NO I SHOULDN'T!!! I'm with everyone else here, if I need help I'll ask(and I usually do with my doubles). Other than that I'm quite capable of kitting up. I had an issue once and to this day the only possible explanation I can come up with is someone messed with my valves. Reg's breathed fine on the surface, soon as I got to 20 feet it was like breathing through a straw, reached back and found both my valves completely CLOSED and then opened 1/4 turn... Was a minor inconvenience but a perfect example of why I don't want someone touching my gear unless I ask.

if we are all keen on sorting ourselves out unless we ask for help, what about someone who is on the same boat, but is obviously struggling with their kit?

helping is one thing (i ask someone to steady my set when on the RIB because there isn't enough room on the tube to make it stable), but should someone who can't manage their own kit be diving with that kit?

Touch my gear - I'll kill ya

topic.php

I feel like an idiot saying that no one touches my gear, and I forget things if my routine is distrubed - but it's true.

at the level of solo you must have a routine or your destin to meet murphy on your dive the term solo should mean you are soley independent, i just smile and say thanks i got it and that will keep the monsters away but for all the guy out there who would be nasty to some one who is just trying to help i leave you with the fact there will be a day you need help so in the words of a wise man my father

beware the words you use keep them soft and sweet for some days you never know which ones you have to eat

if we are all keen on sorting ourselves out unless we ask for help, what about someone who is on the same boat, but is obviously struggling with their kit?

helping is one thing (i ask someone to steady my set when on the RIB because there isn't enough room on the tube to make it stable), but should someone who can't manage their own kit be diving with that kit?

If he's diving solo and having issues, no they should not being diving that kit...

If he's diving with a buddy, well it's the buddies issue...

If you see him hook his breathing reg to the argon bottle, well it might be nice to mention it.

Of course, the other side might be he is a new diver and would appreciate the input.

It's a personal judgement call with too many variables to note them all here....

However, once help is offered and refused that should end it... if you still feel the need to "interfere" there's always the captian.

Last time I broke my routine I jumped in without attaching my dry suit inflator hose. I figured it out when I hit my inflator valve and felt a cold spot growing on my chest. My "helpfull" buddy took my flailing in search of said inflator hose as an issue with my tank valve. He promptly shut it off (thought he was turning it on), opened it back up a quarter turn (gee thanx) and swam away. That's when I decided to start diving solo before I get killed.
Not even my wife is allowed to touch my gear. Dive gear that is. ;0)

It seems that everytime I am missing something or something goes wrong, it is a direct result of either someone jabbering to me whilst kitting or offering to help me. This applies both to solo and buddy diving. I have a set routine of preparing and kitting up. During this routine I focus on the dive and do cross checks on everything. Any interruption here, and, it is almost guaranteed that something will be missed despite the good intentions of the "helper". I rather do my own mistakes (if any) in order to fine tune my routines and also to keep alert on problem solving.

I guess it's universal we all have a routine know matter where we're from and we all ask, don't touch my gear, help by not helping or if I do ask for help please do what I ask, not what you think is best / better. Above all DON"T TOUCH MY VALVE KNOB! My air is on before my tank is on my back if you turn it you may F*** it up and make me work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom