Knee Replacement Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck S

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am scheduled for a knee replacement in Dec. but I am also planing a trip to Truk/Chuuk next year. It seems there are many types of knee joints and I am wondering if any one type is better than another for SCUBA Divers. I have seen the plastic bottle demonstration at 100 ft and I'm concerned if the knee hardware has any voids or if there is a chance of a void in the tissue or bones after surgery. Some of the posts talk about diving but don't seem to mention depths. Am I worrying about nothing?

Hi Chuck,

None of the knee joint prostheses of which I am aware would be affected by changes in ambient pressure since they are solid and contain no air spaces. Done properly, the replacement should leave no "voids" in involved tissue or bone. The diver undergoing this procedure should make his concerns known to the orthopedic surgeon and the facts verified.

Whether or not scarring and surgical changes would tend to be a site for nitrogen accumulation due to altered blood supply is debatable, but the research suggests it's only a minor worry.

You might enjoy knowing that total knee replacement generally is a very successful procedure yielding excellent pain reduction and increased stability. It is encouraging that a study published in the "Mayo Clinic Proceedings" reported that over 75% of orthopedic surgeons recommended resumption of SCUBA diving following operative recovery from total replacement.

An individual should be able to return to diving after rehab is successfully completed and muscle strength and range of motion are appropriate for SCUBA. The surgeon should okay complete weight-bearing and full activity, as well as provide clearance specifically for SCUBA. It is prudent to make sure the muscles supporting the knee are fit prior to surgery and be diligent in prescribed rehab. It generally gets one back to full activity faster.

Upon resumption of diving, it's good practice to be careful entering and exiting the boat/shore, don and doff gear in the water and avoid climbing boat ladders with heavy gear on.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thanks for the info. Im just begining to use the fourm and I'm grateful for the quick response. This is a great way to get relevant info from experienced voices that understand our sport.
Chuck S

Thanks from someone else who is seeing the writing on the wall for this....

I recently got my OW certification. I have had a total knee replacement of my left knee for about 7 years. I have been to about 75 feet with absolutely no problems! My knee is a combination of titanium and chrome molly steel with nylon.

Just as an aside, I have worked my knee hard since the surgery. I started following the doctor's and PT tech instructions fanatically and within 6 weeks I was back to pretty much normal operation with somewhat diminished strength. Actually what I did was...while I was taking the pain meds I worked my knee extra hard to get flexibility and strength back. I figured that while I could not feel it, I might as well push it a little. The strength has returned to better than 100% and I continue to work out daily. Part of my routine includes teaching 3 styles of martial arts so the strength and flexibility is absolutely critical. My surgeon has told me I should be her poster child of what to do after a total knee replacement. The only things she told me I cannot do any more is run and jump. As in jump out of planes. Dang it is tough to get old.

I'm not trying to show off. Just trying to say that your recovery will be up to you. I have a friend that went through the procedure at about the same time as I did. He is still hobbling around because he has not followed the doctor's recommendations regarding exercise.

Don't give up on your diving! You will have to work to get used to the way the replacement knee works. Not quite the same as a real knee. BUT not having pain is a very good thing.

Best of luck!!!

I recently got my OW certification. I have had a total knee replacement of my left knee for about 7 years. I have been to about 75 feet with absolutely no problems! My knee is a combination of titanium and chrome molly steel with nylon.

Just as an aside, I have worked my knee hard since the surgery. I started following the doctor's and PT tech instructions fanatically and within 6 weeks I was back to pretty much normal operation with somewhat diminished strength. Actually what I did was...while I was taking the pain meds I worked my knee extra hard to get flexibility and strength back. I figured that while I could not feel it, I might as well push it a little. The strength has returned to better than 100% and I continue to work out daily. Part of my routine includes teaching 3 styles of martial arts so the strength and flexibility is absolutely critical. My surgeon has told me I should be her poster child of what to do after a total knee replacement. The only things she told me I cannot do any more is run and jump. As in jump out of planes. Dang it is tough to get old.

I'm not trying to show off. Just trying to say that your recovery will be up to you. I have a friend that went through the procedure at about the same time as I did. He is still hobbling around because he has not followed the doctor's recommendations regarding exercise.

Don't give up on your diving! You will have to work to get used to the way the replacement knee works. Not quite the same as a real knee. BUT not having pain is a very good thing.

Best of luck!!!

Hi TartanFrog,

Just read your comments on this subject and got all pumped! I have gone thru Bilateral Knee replacement and thanks to hearing from people like you, my workout partner/wife, and a solid therapy group I feel as strong as ever. However, as I picked up diving I'm having a hard time with an issue... "My Buoyancy Sucks". My lower half drags. Everyone around me seems to be able to stay parallel with the surface specially near the reef while my legs are always dragging keeping me scraping the bottom. I wonder if this is do to the replacements or if its just my lack of experience? If you have any advice please it would be truly appreciated since I'm not planning to give up on scuba any time soon...

Keep leading the way...

Hi TartanFrog,

Just read your comments on this subject and got all pumped! I have gone thru Bilateral Knee replacement and thanks to hearing from people like you, my workout partner/wife, and a solid therapy group I feel as strong as ever. However, as I picked up diving I'm having a hard time with an issue... "My Buoyancy Sucks". My lower half drags. Everyone around me seems to be able to stay parallel with the surface specially near the reef while my legs are always dragging keeping me scraping the bottom. I wonder if this is do to the replacements or if its just my lack of experience? If you have any advice please it would be truly appreciated since I'm not planning to give up on scuba any time soon...

Keep leading the way...
Adjust your trim, I use 10 lbs on my upper tank band, I’ve always had leg sink issues, knee replacement didn’t change anything.

A lot of people have issues being leg-heavy, I doubt your challenges are related to your BTKR. I had one of my knees replaced and haven’t noticed a difference between my two legs.

Hi TartanFrog,

Keep leading the way...

Hey guys, did you notice the thread is from 2009-2010? I think Chuck S' question is now past history for him.

Back
Top Bottom