Knee Replacement :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, a new question for our next trip to somewhere out of the ordinary :)
How do you get up a ladder into a Zodiac tender or other RIB craft?! I always have trouble, unless the ladder has rails or bars that let me pull myself forward and up as I climb. Most do not and I end up being hauled in like a gaffed fish or swimming back to the main boat. Last time was before the knees, but it was not so.muchbtroubke climbing as getting my center of gravity forward...I am a woman. Is it arm strength I need or technique or what? Thinking of a liveaboard in 2019 and cannot do the gaffed fish thing multiple times a day.
Thanks.

Swimming back to the main boat doesn't seem like something to rely on doing, I wouldn't expect on a liveaboard using tenders, to usually be ending the dive close to the mothership.

Strength is certainly useful, arms and legs, but I think flexibility also helps. All things to work on if they're an issue. Maybe there's some technique at play but without seeing someone hard to comment on that.

Are you taking gear off before climbing up, or no? (I don't think I've dove from a RIB where they didn't take your gear before you climbed up.) It's not unheard of for people to need a hand climbing up, and it shouldn't have to resemble the gaffed fish thing.

Lots of liveaboards you dive from the main boat and not tenders, though that's going to depend on typical conditions where they are. Some have tenders that are regular boats rather than RIBs. And some have better ladders than others. So maybe check this carefully for any liveaboard you're considering.

My problem is that often the ladder tilts into the water under the RIB, so that my feet are in front of me and I end up clinging to the ladder bent forward at the waist with my rear stuck out. This is especially imposdible with those crossbar ladders with rungs across a central pole.
On some craft, they have a brace so that the rungs are straight down or even angled out and that is fine. Or if there are side rails such that I can hold on above the RIB side tube and straighten up.
This is all without gear (hangs head in shame).

Well, we leave the Great Astrolabe Reef in Fiji tomorrow morning. Knees are great. One boat I absolutely could not get back into from.the water due to ladder configuration.
The other with good side rails and steps going maybe 12-20 inches into the water worked out ok. My technique is to get a foot up on the lower rung, face straight on, use rails and arms to pivot up on that foot until I am standing then climb as usual. Saves bending knee more than I am supposed to. A work in progress!!! Tape and so continue to work perfectly. No rubs.

I am.happy to report that the Great Astrolabe Reef seems to.have no bleaching and the corals are profuse and in great shape. Lots of reef sharks. Was thrilled to see coral spawn!

Back
Top Bottom