Knew it would happen eventually

How do you make sure an insta-buddy stays with you?

• Put him/her in the lead, then stay with 'em

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Use a leash

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Just keep an eye on 'em

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • Some other method - explained in my post

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To TS&M and NW GD, I stand by my statement that getting separated is inevitable. It has happened to all of us (regardless of the reasons) and will most likely happen again. I was not implying that it would happen every dive and the statement was not made in support of reckless dive planning or conduct. It is a reality so be prepared. The fact that students are taught what to do in the event of a separation leads me to believe that it is a real possibility.

What a joke I come on for entertainment I know that this is a place for wannabes and every time
you confirm my opinion of the clowns that are on here. it is entertaining. I dive and I dont dive with clowns and wannabes.

I don't have the extensive background in diving that you have, and I know why I come on these pages. Not totally for entertainment (although it can be found). But more to learn from other divers.

Being under 100 dives lifetime, I guess that makes me a wannabe.

It also lets me know what I dontwannabe.

And that is a diver with an attitude like you.

What a joke I come on for entertainment I know that this is a place for wannabes and every time
you confirm my opinion of the clowns that are on here. it is entertaining. I dive and I dont dive with clowns and wannabes.

You know, Scubaflier. I was feeling sorry for you when the thread turned to thoughts of contacting NAUI. That was never my intention. We are apparently talking about your profession here. When I first posted the thread, I was wondering what people's comments and experiences were to the situation. That is all. Never did I expect somebody to come out of the woodwork expressing , as you have as an instructor no less, how you are OK with ditching people and all the other crap that you have come out with. I see, from the quote above, that you still just don't get it. I am perfectly fine with you calling me a newbie, clown and wannabee. All the rest of the posts here don't seem to share your opinion of what happened and how I reacted to it. That's fine by me. I'll dive with them as a newbie and a wannabee, I'm positive I don't "wannabee " you though. I'm not sure what I did to be called a clown, not that it matters. By the way, apparently I'm not the only clown as it's plural. That is interesting that you are branching out and abusing others as well. You're own your own now, bud. If I were you, I'd quit before the hole you've dug for yourself gets any deeper. And you are right in one statement, it is highly entertaining .

Right now I would be a lot less concerned with this guys method of making a living (as he isn't a vacation diver, just a serious professional) and more concerned with the new divers he is coming into contact with.

A-holes are everywhere on these open forums though. Unfortunately, i ran into one the other day on TDS too. Very condescending, opinionated, and clearly making up for a serious lack of thought, intelligence, and skill.

Regardless, instructor or not, I would never EVER call this guy a professional diver.

You know, Scubaflier. I was feeling sorry for you when the thread turned to thoughts of contacting NAUI. That was never my intention. We are apparently talking about your profession here. When I first posted the thread, I was wondering what people's comments and experiences were to the situation. That is all. Never did I expect somebody to come out of the woodwork expressing , as you have as an instructor no less, how you are OK with ditching people and all the other crap that you have come out with. I see, from the quote above, that you still just don't get it. I am perfectly fine with you calling me a newbie, clown and wannabee. All the rest of the posts here don't seem to share your opinion of what happened and how I reacted to it. That's fine by me. I'll dive with them as a newbie and a wannabee, I'm positive I don't "wannabee " you though. I'm not sure what I did to be called a clown, not that it matters. By the way, apparently I'm not the only clown as it's plural. That is interesting that you are branching out and abusing others as well. You're own your own now, bud. If I were you, I'd quit before the hole you've dug for yourself gets any deeper. And you are right in one statement, it is highly entertaining .

Good; if you haven't noticed, most of the clowns wont be interested in diving with you, so all is well. You can keep your affect on ignorance confined to your local diveshop by not participating in an online forum. We will not consider it a loss. Thanks for trying. Have a nice day.

You think NAUI would actually do something if we all emailed them at the same time?

Probably not ... anybody can say anything on the Internet ... and you don't even know for sure that he is a NAUI instructor. If he is, then he's definitely not promoting NAUI's position on the subject of buddy diving.

On the other hand, if he is a NAUI instructor, and he's teaching his students this way, and one of them reported him for promoting those opinions in class ... then yes ... I believe NAUI would do something.

... Bob (NAUI Instructor 41751)

To TS&M and NW GD, I stand by my statement that getting separated is inevitable. It has happened to all of us (regardless of the reasons) and will most likely happen again. I was not implying that it would happen every dive and the statement was not made in support of reckless dive planning or conduct. It is a reality so be prepared. The fact that students are taught what to do in the event of a separation leads me to believe that it is a real possibility.

Getting struck by lightning is a real possibility ... but it is not inevitable.

I just completed a cave diving class where I spent a great deal of time and effort learning what to do in the event of a whole lot of things that never happen to the vast majority of people who dive in caves. We prepare for the worst ... but that doesn't make the worst "inevitable".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not sure I see where planning to dive with an insta-buddy and having the insta-buddy swim off is coldwaterdufus failing to dive the plan. Sounds more like the insta-buddy abandoning any plan and making it up as he goes along.

Now, I never dive with an insta-buddy. I dive exclusively with people I trust. We're practically in each others' BC pockets and perfectly fine with that.

But if I should ever with up assigned an insta-buddy like coldwaterdufus did, I'm going to assume it's because we're supposed to stick together, like coldwaterdufus did. I'm going to do what my training said when I lose track of them, like coldwaterdufus did, and I'm going to end up with a crappy dive like coldwaterdufus did.

Or I'll simply plan to dive solo and give up entirely on the pretense of having a buddy. But I'd at least have the consideration to inform any insta-buddy that I plan to do so and make sure before we get in the water that they're cool with that and we're both properly trained and equipped to dive solo.

The important thing here is that you should be prepared either way, but plan to dive together or plan to dive solo, but whatever your plan, don't be changing it mid-dive without letting your buddy in on it. Anything else is stupidity. How can anyone seriously defend such behavior?

I have to assume that everything in scubaflier's profile is made up. It's that or wonder what the heck NAUI was thinking.

scubaflier:

The irony, it burns.

Can't believe arrogance! He needs to get around some hillbilly divers and spew that sh***t. Whatever his occupation I hope he does it alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom