Knife, line cutter or shears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogue_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for the pros and cons of the line cutter and shears. I figured I would replace my small knife with another, but then again, some added wisdom about these other tools may influence that decision. My diving is primarily recreational.

I know recreational divers that carry multiple tools. I carry 2 knives strategically placed where I can get to them if I need to. They're sharp and ready to go. I have a small pair of shears in a pocket.

That's my rig anyway.

Sea ya!

I found a decent knife that has half the blade serated and the end is curved for catching and cutting fishing line. Dont waste time on the big John Wayne knives strapped to the leg.

Sea Snips... I've never lost them and they are harder to drop once in your hands. I used to carry small knives, but lost several of them. Fortunately I found more of them than I lost! I think that says something. I've never found a pair of shears.

Dr.Bill,

What are sea snips and where can you purchase them?

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I like snips. I got mine from a doctor friend, though they are sold by several scuba manufacturers:
SeaSnips.jpg

I'm currently diving with shears and a small knife.
You asked for pros and cons of each of the current cutting devices out there.
line cutter
pros: I'd say these are the mid-range of the 3 price wise. They can be deployed and used very easily.
cons: they are LINE cutters. best for fishing line (lots of it out there) but from what I've seen some aren't the best on leader or more stout twines.

shears.
pros: flea markets on weekends...get them for extremely cheap. buy them from online dealer probably less than $5. the right one will cut pennies into pieces, so leader and strong line are gone in a snap.
cons: if there's a nick in the blade or if they get bent they will not cut leader well. I've seen some rust shut after a couple of dives but that is if you buy really cheap not stainless ones.

knives
cons: price can be an issue unless you find them or make your own. larger knives are bulky. Two hands needed to cut most stuff. maintenance required. If you don't know how to sharpen a knife to where it is sharp enough to be useful then extra cost to get them sharpened. price depending on locations and friends who will do it.
pros: most knives have 3 cutting areas. plain, serrated and line cutter. The line cutter makes cutting fishing line easly but fishing line can be cut on any of the surfaces. the plain edge works well for cutting small braided line. the serrated is great for cutting ropes loose if the anchor gets entangled or to just clean up messes underwater.

If you are in an area that uses alot of non metal leaders and fishing line, go with a line cutter. If you are in areas that you might encounter nets and wire leaders shears. If boat diving or hunting a knife is a must IMHO.

I carry both a dive knife and shears. Especially with where I dive now. I've discovered that there are delicate situations where a knife just isn't "welcome", like when working near gear or getting out of fishing line in the lake. I seem to get less frustrated if I manage to get tangled in something when I know my shears are on me.

Shears: can get you out of a tight jam of fishing line, net, etc. that a knife may not be able to get into and/or may not cut through. One hand operation in most cases. Less need to look where you snip once you're on your target. Least likely to hurt you or another diver if dropped.

Knife: great tool if used properly, but relies on the force of the human body for cutting ability. The sharpest knife may not cut if enough force is not applied. One hand operation in some cases, but primarily requires a second hand to steady a target. Should maintain visual contact with the target to be cut as a knife may slip. Can hurt you or another diver if dropped. Great UW defensive tool if needed in a "last resort" situation, though I would not recommend that. Can be fashioned into a make-shift spear if needed for spear fishing (not w/ speargun for you rednecks). Flat tips can be used as a screwdriver or prying tool.

I carry sea snips and my super duper betty crocker stainless steel serrated kitchen knife.:mil-pow-mia: :us:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom