Knife, line cutter or shears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mix and match, but like the z-knife (coldwater version) and a good pair of trauma shears.

I like my knife, it's got three cutting surfaces: A straight edge for general cutting, a serrated saw blade for tougher jobs and a line cutter. i carry my knife for recreational purposes. It's got everything I need for general purpose in the area I dive, the only thing about it is you gotta keep it sharp.

If I dive in an area where I know there are alot of hazards such as a wreck, I'll keep a line cutter that uses a replaceable razor blade for cutting cave line or monofilament and a good pair of EMT shears for those nasty metal leads.

I'm a shears man, but will probably start carrying a small folding knife also as a backup. I've used my shears to cut through 1 inch anchor rope in a second, it would have taken me forever to saw my way through that with a knife. I will also start carrying a cold water line cutter that you can easily use with heavy gloves once the water is that cold. Here's a great practice that I learned from a special forces skydiver: Never ever ever ever use your emergency knife (shears/cutter,etc) for ordinary things. It should be left sharp and undamaged for when you need it the most - a life threatening situation. Carry a backup "utility" cutter to cut mundane stuff.

I carry two knives and a pair of EMT shears. Shears can be used one handed. Unfortunately I don't trust the constantly rusting "stainless steel" rivets/pivot pins so I'll always have a knife along as well.

A couple of divers have told me that I have too much stuff on, but I don't care. The great majority have said,
"Hmm...I hadn't thought about a backup knife-I AM always dropping them..."

the mottos: "If You Don't Need It, Leave It Behind/If You Need it Bring Two" "Two is One,One is None" is my usual comfort zone, philosophy.

Placement in several areas: in front of you, on an arm or leg, console hose and behind you in case in an entagnglement you can't get enough slack to reach the one forward is a common practice.

I plan to get one of those monster Mick Dundee Bowie knives, it will double as a weigth belt:D

Of course, I'll have to carry a smaller knife and shears to cut that thing loose from every piece of monofilament in the region.

Oh yeah, I have that cool line cutter I found diving with Spratman in Dutch springs too:wink:

Back
Top Bottom