Knife location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Large fixed blade, inside calf... my "multipurpose" tool. heavy enough to use as a pry bar, hammer etc, and yet out of tangles way. BTW, I NEVER use my blades as a screwdriver... never had a need for a screwdriver in the suds either.

Small lock back on right shoulder harness... I use this one mostly, it's the knife I carry all day. A closed knife is quite nice while I am retrieving it from close to my body, hoses et al. It is VERY easy to get to, but still out of the way.

Shears in pocket... never had to use them yet, but I might. In pocket means out of way.

DO NOT like knife on my belt... it sticks into my stomach... OUCH!!!
Do NOT like knife on outside calf... hangs up on and even seems to attract fishing line.
DO NOT like having only one option to cut with. Redundancy is good. Redundancy is good. Also I'm a tool freak (see thread on URT -Use the Right Tool).

What?
small knife (serrated blade) located on my inflator hose set-up, sea snips located on other bcd strap.

Why?
I can always reach my bcd straps. I figure should I ever get entangled -- the possibility of bending over or reaching down might be prevented by the englement.

medium sized fixed blade (with partially serrated edge)
on waist-strap (left) of BP harness.

medium sized folder with fully-serrated edge next to it (I know
from personal experience it will saw through metal)

Hmmm... the insistance that a knife is "not a weapon" is interesting. I can think of more than a few flounder who might disagree... unless of course a speargun is a "fish gathering tool" rather than a weapon. :)
---------------
I do not carry a knife in any position that is likely to be an entanglement hazard, or in a place where I cannot deploy it without screwing up my buoyancy/position in the water - outside the calf, *the* position to carry a knife ala "Sea Hunt" (and a position I still see with regularity, especially among brand new and very old divers) is one.
Rick

A small BD knife, with a 3" blade and a line cutter, placed on the left side of the BC harness, in a way that a right guy like myself, can easily access it. The handle is pointing down, again for ease of reach.

The knife is locking into its holster, so hopfully it will not fall out.

Next in my purchase list is a pair of shears.

Ari :)

I carry my small, "screwdriver nose" knife handle down on my left BC strap. My "pig sticker" goes inside left calf when I wear it.

Why? The strap on the BC hangs free with a d-ring on the end of it. The d-ring keeps the zip ties I used to secure the knife from sliding off the strap. Since the strap hangs free I can access it with both hands easily. The "pig sticker" goes inside the leg to keep from getting entangled plus it's the only place on my little body where I can put a big knife!

Have been lucky so far, have never had to use either knife for anything other than the cookout after the dive and hope to keep it that way!

Ber :bunny:

I attach my BC knife in the cummerbun adjustment holes in my Ranger. They are perfect for this. The knife is mounted on the left side handle down. I only have to move my arm and it's in my hand, don't even have to look. When hunting, a stilletto on my left forearm. To reach my knife, I only have to move my arm to have it in hand. Don't have to stop, look, or reach down to get my knife, it's that simple. Shears in my left hand BC pocket. :tree:Bob

As you might guess, I carry a small knife (3") on my waist strap. Why? It's accessible with both hands. Doesn't pose a significant entanglement hazzard and can be untangled easily with either hand.

I also carry EMT shears clipped off to one of my bungies in my drysuit pocket. Why in the pocket? To keep them out of the way and eliminate any clutter on my harness.

Mike

- Three inch blunt-tip upside-down on inflator hose (always)
- Titantium blunt tip Pig Sticker inside left calf (always)

The Three inch has been used to cut string/line. Haven't found a pig yet when diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom