Knife near compass, bad idea...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,
Hope you are all well.

Had a revelation, not a big surprise but worthy of note. I had, at the advice of respected NELD to mount my dive knife on my console (mounted to the back with zip ties) console consists of spg, compass and depth gauge. Well, lo and behold, compass is 10 degrees or more off due to the metal in the knife interferring with the reading. food for thought... I am moving my knife to better locale...

Take care.

Love to yas all..

Shellbird.

Who needs a compass when your lobster diving? The lobsters don't follow any compass directions...lol! Good luck finding a new spot.

I have my large primary on the inside of my left leg and a small back-up in my left BC pocket. Some divers also mount the small ones right on the shoulder strap of their BCs. Probably depends on the size of your knife where you put it. But, back of console w/ compass...oops.

LobstaMan

Heh heh,
Maybe you could mount another metal object on the other side to compensate:)

I've noticed people going off course on night dives due to holding light too close to compass.

Makes me wonder about divers with metal plates in their head

I imagine mine's a bit off for doing that as well. It shouldn't be a problem for long though, as I've decided the console itself is a problem and am getting rid of it in favor of a SPG and wrist-mounted computer and compass. I'm not sure where I'll move the knife, but it'll probably be on the belt webbing.

MSilvia once bubbled...
I imagine mine's a bit off for doing that as well. It shouldn't be a problem for long though, as I've decided the console itself is a problem and am getting rid of it in favor of a SPG and wrist-mounted computer and compass. I'm not sure where I'll move the knife, but it'll probably be on the belt webbing.

The knife fits nicely behind the SPG. Especially if it is small.

If it is big, you can mount the knife to a shoulder strap, or to the waist strap of the B/C, or to your lower leg (except for beach diving).

I do not know who first thought of putting the compass onto the console. It works fine for rental gear, but poorly overall.

A wrist compass works best, most of the time.

In the early to mid-80's Tekna sold a console with a dive knife sheath integrated into the back of the console. It did work slick but it only worked as the knife used was non-magnetic.

Not all grades of stainless steel are totally non-magnetic so it is quite possible to run into problems mounting a knife to your console.

MSilvia once bubbled...
It's definately the way to go. I got a new Suunto SK-7 compass I'm pretty excited about.

Wrist mount is definately the way to go. Constantly having to bring your console up to bear is really inconvienent, as well as taking up an otherwise free hand.

When hunting spiny and shovel nose bugs it's not unusual to have my arm in a hole up to my armpit. Anything onthe wrist outside the suit is a serious entrapment hazard. It is also an entanglement hazard whe working a speared fish on a line, and my result in entanglement or entrapment.

Entrapment hazards are a BAAAADDD thing, "DIR" or not.

When not hunting I'd agree to the ease and utility of a wrist mount, but most of my dives have some element of "Whats for dinner?" involved at least around the edges. as a result a console, hose, or other mounting location is preferable, unless the strap is an "easy break" version that makes the gauge disposable.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom