Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVacc:
Well, only a couple real dives under belt, and still searching for the best place to strap my knife. I have about a 6-8" BC knife, so looking for the best spot to put it. I obviously don't wanna hang it off my bc, however i'm lacking a great place to strap it on. I do have side pockets, however if entangled i'm not too sure if it will be the easiest place to reach it. So far the best place i've found to strap my knife is on the shoulder strap of my BC, however.. I'll be opening the knife up, into my face.. Not good hehe, so, any advice will help, ty..

Welcome, and I hope your first dives went well.

Why don't you want to hang the thing off your BC? I find that's an OK option if I'm not in my drysuit; on the waist belt. (My drysuit, like many, has a thigh pocket with an integrated knife sheath that works very well.)

i have a backplate, so i have a line-cutter on a sheath on my harness waist-band
(to my left).

alas, the knife i want is $50.00, so i'm waiting for my next chance to splurge.

I dive an older Dacor Rig, that isnt all that important at least to me. I feel that a safety knife should be easily accesable with either hand, that puts it on the BC somewhere around the chest area. My freedive suit has a pocket nearly in the center of my chest. I developed this idea from an occurance a friend had freediving. Thats it for me, in the chest area easily reached by either hand.
Bill

Dyno Bill: "I feel that a safety knife should be easily accesable with either hand, that puts it on the BC somewhere around the chest area."

If you want it to be easily accessible with either hand, that is a reason to put it close to the *center* of your body (left to right center, I mean), but it doesn't follow that it should be up around the chest area. Down around the waist and near the center of your body is probably easier to reach if the movement of your arms is restricted.

I don't have strong feelings about where a knife *has* to be located on your body, but if you consider where your hands rest naturally when you are diving (and where your hands are likely to be when something catches you and you need to cut yourself free), the easiest spot to reach with either hand is likely to be in the center of your body and closest to where your hands are when you're swimming.

doole:
Welcome, and I hope your first dives went well.

Why don't you want to hang the thing off your BC? I find that's an OK option if I'm not in my drysuit; on the waist belt. (My drysuit, like many, has a thigh pocket with an integrated knife sheath that works very well.)

Well, to tell you the truth, currently i have enough things floating off my person; including a slate and 3 other buckles ( 2 for my reg and one for my gauges). Even after a few dives under my belt, i still feel like i'm always looking for things, even though i know where they are. So, i don't really like the idea of hanging my knife, as just another thing that i have to search for.. Thanks though :)

It depends a little on the dive but my standard practice is to carry two (2) different cutting tools and have them in different places.

I normally carry shears on my left shoulder strap and a knife on my waist belt.

Even when I do fast free dives I will tuck the shears inside my wetsuit top. You never know where or when you will find fishing line.

For what its worth.
Cheap stainless chisle point 4" right BC shoulder strap with zip ties.
Shears in left BC pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom