Knife or scissor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copter53

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday my knife broke off during the dive and the holster is done. I saved the knife. Well I always carry a scissor and a knife. But now I'm thinking to just get a second pair of emt shears and have two but no knife?

What you guys think? Is a knife important or will scissors replace it just fine? They both cut

my personal choice is to have a pair of emt shears and a z knife

I have an OMS titanium line cutter and EMT shears on my rig now... I never carry a knife anymore. The only thing I ever did with a knife on my rig is lose it.

I'm perhaps a bit extreme when it comes to cutting tools, but I figure more is better than not enough. Trilobite z-knife on my wrist, medical shears in my pocket, serrated blunt tip knife in my pocket, BFK to harvest the occasional scallop I come across. Cutting tools are cheap and useful.

Another Trilobite fan. And in a week or so I'll be stocking them. Also carry shears and a blunt tip serrated. No need for a big pig sticker around here though, I have two hanging on the gear rack. My OW instructor talked me into the one before I knew better and the other is a vintage I picked up with some used gear. It's just cool.

Shears are for cable, wire, and thicker braided line. Trilobites are for monofiliment and thinner braided kevlar line, as well as any kind of fabric (say rotten canvas). However, consider that both require space around the material to be cut. Not a lot in the case of the Trilobite, but still.

A knife's one real cutting strength as I see it is the ability to saw/slice through something wrapped too tightly to easily get shears or a cutter around the line. So I carry all three.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom