Knife or scissor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you need a knife, you need a knife and shears, line cutter or scissors will just not cut it.

Like the time I was first diver in the water from a live-aboard when the captain realized he was getting too close to the pile of rocks we were about to dive and went into reverse before remembering that the dinghy was already in the water tied up at the stern. This was a decent sized boat with a 30" prop but even so after wrapping about 20 turns of the painter around the shaft it all seized up. Meanwhile the live-aboard was getting dangerously close to the rocks.
To the touch, the painter was under so much tension it was really hard.
While a hacksaw would have been the best tool if I'd had one, using my BFK it took me about two minutes to cut through the turns and free the prop. There was just time for me to swim clear, advise the crew and the captain to apply power and avoid the rocks.
Fortunately I was in the right place at the right time.
If all I'd had was a line cutter or shears or a pair of scissors we'd have been looking at a disaster.

Another time we were doing a dive in an intense current. While among the rocks & reef structure we were shielded from the main current and it was doable but when we had to cross open sandy patches the only way to avoid getting getting blown away by the current was to dump all air from the BC and crawl across the bottom sticking your knife in the sand and hauling on it. The DM said we passed our test for UW alpine climbing technique. So while an ice axe and a belaying rope would have been the most appropriate tools, our BFKs were an adequate replacement.

shears cut lionfish spines, BFK or sword for the Ninjas, I like to be well prepared for anything, you cant cut your buddy with shears so for shark evasion they are not so good, personal choice. have you ever tried to pry an abalone with shears? Bah go with both. or use ninja mind tricks.

When you need a knife, you need a knife and shears, line cutter or scissors will just not cut it.

Like the time I was first diver in the water from a live-aboard when the captain realized he was getting too close to the pile of rocks we were about to dive and went into reverse before remembering that the dinghy was already in the water tied up at the stern. This was a decent sized boat with a 30" prop but even so after wrapping about 20 turns of the painter around the shaft it all seized up. Meanwhile the live-aboard was getting dangerously close to the rocks.
To the touch, the painter was under so much tension it was really hard.
While a hacksaw would have been the best tool if I'd had one, using my BFK it took me about two minutes to cut through the turns and free the prop. There was just time for me to swim clear, advise the crew and the captain to apply power and avoid the rocks.
Fortunately I was in the right place at the right time.
If all I'd had was a line cutter or shears or a pair of scissors we'd have been looking at a disaster.

Another time we were doing a dive in an intense current. While among the rocks & reef structure we were shielded from the main current and it was doable but when we had to cross open sandy patches the only way to avoid getting getting blown away by the current was to dump all air from the BC and crawl across the bottom sticking your knife in the sand and hauling on it. The DM said we passed our test for UW alpine climbing technique. So while an ice axe and a belaying rope would have been the most appropriate tools, our BFKs were an adequate replacement.

What BFK do you guys recommend I buy? Links please

Puma Frogman if you can find one and don't mind the price tag.

I carry EMT shears, which come in quite handy. I have always carried a knife. I use it quite often to fight off sharks and crocodiles. However, I don't recommend getting an expensive knife, unless you have money to burn. If you get a cheaper knife and you drop it when battling the creatures of the deep, you are less likely to care than if you were to drop a more expensive knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom