Knife Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do people put a backup knife / cutting device? I've got the usual knife pouch on the left hand side, that houses the blunt steak-knife, but would like to carry a second cutting implement "just in case". I have a trilobite with the harness pouch, and assumed it would be easy to fit on somewhere, but it's harder than I thought.

So far I have tried
a) On left hand side of waist strap - works but lose some of the "redundancy" by having it next to the other knife. What if an entanglement stops me reaching that side?
b) on the right hand side of waist strap - works but pain in the bum having to slide it off every time i get into the bpw to put on the can light
c) under D'rings on shoulder straps - fouls the backup lights
d) above D'rings - digs into me when I turn

I've been told to just stick it in my thigh pocket, but wouldnt you want it closer in case of entanglement?

From the GUE website:
18. Knife: Waist-mounted in front, near the center of the diver's body, for easy access.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

You have your knife on the left side? One of the strengths of the system is the standardization... May I ask have you read the book:

Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving ?

It should be on the left waist strap, the buckle stops it from falling off and should be center-enough able to be reached with either hand.

From the GUE website:
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

You have your knife on the left side? One of the strengths of the system is the standardization... May I ask have you read the book:

Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving ?

I have read it yes.
Just a bad description on my part. I consider it "left" because it's left of center.

I have read it yes.
Just a bad description on my part. I consider it "left" because it's left of center.

Not a bad description at all, left is left. That's exactly what I do with shears sometimes and am comfortable with it. If I am ever tangled with both hands so badly neither can reach the center of my body I'm gonna need help:) Is it pure DIR exactly from the training council? No. Neither is the double ender on the lighthead but I'd bet at least someone in this thread uses that also.

Shears seem to work best. I use a hose protector to keep the shears from opening. It will slide off pretty easy when needed and use a double ender to secure to bungie in right pocket. The trilobite rusts quickly but works. I also carry the cut steak knife on my waist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom