Knife size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdsd

Contributor
Reaction score
What is generally considered the smallest knife that is useful? Primarily for kelp and fishing line.

Z knives are very small and very useful for line. I'm not so sure about kelp though - you'd probably need something bigger for that.

Kelp is brittle. Ok, that's not the right word, how do you describe brittle vegetables? Crisp? That's it, kelp is crisp!

Just break it.

"Kelp is crisp". Ha ha! All these years and why haven't I heard this one? It's exactly right! Good one radinator.

As someone with experience in another sport where hook knives really are a life-saving neccessity, I can tell you that Z-knives are false security. They dull and break all too easily. I wouldn't give one to my neighbor's annoying barky dog.

I would invest in a small knife with a definite line cutter, such as (no endorsement, just an example) the Wenoka squeeze lock titanium. It will actually work when you need it, and do double duty as a cheese cutter between dives.

Or paramedic shears. These will save your life, and also produce emergency corkscrews from pennies.

All the best, James

Luckily never have had to use one but I like my Zeagle knife. Short blade, serated and smooth plus the line cutter. The blade is fairly short, 2" or so, but the handle is a nice size. It is also made of hydralloy so it is less likely to rust. or so they say.

crpntr133:
Luckily never have had to use one but I like my Zeagle knife. Short blade, serated and smooth plus the line cutter. The blade is fairly short, 2" or so, but the handle is a nice size. It is also made of hydralloy so it is less likely to rust. or so they say.

Checked some out. Seems the line cutter is a good idea. It looks easier than a straight blade. Also it seems the handle cannot be too small if using gloves.

fdog:
I would invest in a small knife with a definite line cutter, such as (no endorsement, just an example) the Wenoka squeeze lock titanium. It will actually work when you need it, and do double duty as a cheese cutter between dives.

Or paramedic shears. These will save your life, and also produce emergency corkscrews from pennies.

All the best, James

Ditto on line cutter. I've seen shears mentioned on the scubaboard before. What's up with these. Is there a good thread that talks to shears, seems like another gadget. Trying to minimize handheld devices. Are they dependent on certain environments.

radinator:
Kelp is brittle. Ok, that's not the right word, how do you describe brittle vegetables? Crisp? That's it, kelp is crisp!

Just break it.

Yea, I guess I can just snap it. But I have seen new kelp divers get real tangled and panic. Nicknamed a dive buddy last week "kelp monster." Thinking more for assistance than myself.

mdsd:
Ditto on line cutter. I've seen shears mentioned on the scubaboard before. What's up with these. Is there a good thread that talks to shears, seems like another gadget. Trying to minimize handheld devices. Are they dependent on certain environments.
Knives, doesn't really matter what type, suck at cutting stainless steel fishing leaders and other very fine wire found in a variety of marine applications. There is nothing to push against, and sawing makes no appreciable impression on the stainless steel. These sorts of entanglement hazards are often found all over wrecks, because the wrecks attract fish, which attract fishermen. Shears, in contrast, cut wire, stainless steel fishing leaders, electrical wiring (inside wrecks), thin copper tubing, nylon line, cables (also hanging down from ceiling panels inside wrecks), and all sorts of other bozonity that you're likely to find tangling around your manifolds. Knives are good for what they're good for, but they definitely are not good for all hazards you might encounter.

OTOH, I don't know squat about getting tangled in kelp!

Back
Top Bottom