Knife size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just get a small knife, and a pair of shears, that way all bases are covered..put them in 2 different locations so that if you get tangled up and can't reach one you will have some hope of getting the other..

EMT shears are nicknamed penny cutters because they can easily cut a penny in half... or you could cut a penny circumfrentially and make a spiral of copper to use as a... never mind.

Shears can be carried in a shear pouch on the belt or a double end bolt snap can be used to clip them off to a d-ring or better yet, inside a pocket.

A small paring knife with the blade scored using a file and then snapped off so that it is only 2" long makes a great knife for things that can be cut with a knife. Keep it in a small case on the belt.

A long thin fillet knife works well for slicing into and openning up scallops.

Large diver knife strapped to the calf works well for catching kelp and fishing line. Continued finning after this can further secure the kelp or fishing line to your leg.

UK Hyperalloy Remora, great little BC knife, comes with the hoseline attachment or bc attachment, great for kelp, fishline, and the occasional Loch ness Monster, I picked up a new one on Ebay for 13 bucks, but I still carry emt shears too. :D

Uncle Pug:
Large diver knife strapped to the calf works well for catching kelp and fishing line. Continued finning after this can further secure the kelp or fishing line to your leg.

You gotta warn us before you do that, UP! I'm at work; reading a serious dicussion on safety tools, trying to decide what toy to buy for our trip in May, and all of a sudden I'm giggling with customers staring at me!

I'm with UP here. The knife gets mounted on the left side of your waist strap. This is done so that should you become entangled and can't reach your calf or some other place, you will be able to reach you knife with either hand. Mounting the knife on your calf is as UP pointed out an entanglement waiting to happen. I keep my shears in the left thigh pocket of my drysuit.

fdog:
"Kelp is crisp". Ha ha! All these years and why haven't I heard this one? It's exactly right! Good one radinator.

Or paramedic shears. These will save your life, and also produce emergency corkscrews from pennies.

All the best, James

James,

You dog you! I've used EMT shears for years, and have never seen that trick demonstrated!!

Just goes to show ya learn something new every day! Thanks! :crafty:

Rob

Knives should have a point for cleaning out from under toenails. They should also have a sharp edge for slicing tomatoes or peeling mango. Then important is the smooth edge for spreading the mayonaise. They should be long enough to cut a watermelon and heavy enough to shuck a coconut. The only thing you have to remember is to spread the mayonaise BEFORE you clean out from under your toenails.
IMHO

Uncle Pug:
A small paring knife with the blade scored using a file and then snapped off so that it is only 2" long makes a great knife for things that can be cut with a knife. Keep it in a small case on the belt.

One of the best reasons for using a knife such as UP describes is that it provides a reasonable (albeit a bit short for my preference) blade length as well as a handle that actually provides a decent grip. Too many of the 'cute little knives' have a way-too-short handle that is downright useless if you are ham-fisted or wearing thick gloves or mitts. If you can't reliably access and hold onto the knife while you are using it, what's the point (no pun intended) of carrying a short knife.

A dive cutting device should match its intended use in a particular dive profile. Feel free to fight off a shark with a pair of shears.

I always carry two cutting devices and stow them in either hand accessible places. I always have one of them strapped to my rig, and the other strapped to my body in case I need to ditch my rig.

Back
Top Bottom