Knife Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never buy a knife (or watch) that you can't affort to lose or break. I'll admit that I have never lost a knife, but I have found 3. One of them is the Ocean Master (I think) and the advertizement says, "You will never lose this knife."

:)

c

Knife fans: What do you like about knives that you don't get with with scissors or line cutters?
Line cutters and scissors definitely have thier merits, but can't be used for prying, scraping, and the occasional flounder.

green river divers knife - personally is my fav, i work with it in the water every day, massive deep scalloping on the blade that holds its edge for ever, plus its better than any line cutter i have used - plus its fairly cheap with a life time guarantee.

have a look offshoreworkersstore.com

Aqualung/US Divers Master Dive Knife

I guess you can't find or they stopped producing your blackie collins wenoka with the z-lock. I am not familiar with this knife.

I like the Remora knife. It is inexpensive, small, streamlined, has many different mounting options and the tip is made so that you will not stab yourself but has a point when needed. Besides all this, it never needs sharpening.

Remora BC Knife reviews and discounts, UK Lights

I also like the Remora knife. I have one mounted on my BC inflator hose. I also carry EMT shears. Haven't used either underwater yet.

I prefer titanium, and a blunt tip
Ditto.

I have a mini (2.5") BC knife, and a 5" BFK in tactical holster. Both have:
- titanium blades
- 1" markings/ruler etched on the blade
- blunt tip for prying/screwing (and saves a BC/wet-suit purchase)
- sharp straight edge
- sharp serraded edge
- fishing line notch
- hard plastic sheath (locking of course)
- homemade shock-cord lanyard for wrapping around wrist during use, and for placing over the sheath end for positive retainment (redundant to locking sheath)... the BFK's lanyard is larger (stretchs over the end of a larger sheath) and has a cord stopper on it.

The BFK also has a nice thick 1" knob end to double as a tank knocker.

The BCD mini knife is bright yellow which seems like a good idea considering how small and light it is (easier to see/track while using it with gloves on... not a problem with the larger BFK which is grey/black).

I also carry SS medical shears with a decent sized cable-notch I made using a Dremel and a knife sharpener tool.

If I had to replace the BFK I'd consider SS. I like the idea of a light, rust-proof pry bar, but SS is stronger than Ti for the same volume, especially if prying or scraping at odd angles.

I suppose I could consider a pointed tip if it was a BFK... definitely not with a smaller knife though (since they're more likely to be BC mounted near bladders, hoses... and my torso :)).

Knife fans: What do you like about knives that you don't get with with scissors or line cutters?

Try to cut a 1" to 1 1/2" rope with a pair of shears. Have you ever fellyed a fish with a pair of shears?

I tried cutting some 5/8" rubber hose the other day with my Medic shears. My hunting knif sliced right through after I spent five minutes hacking with the shears.

steak knives and line cutters are adequate - but at the end of the day is $20 extra worth skimping on for a decent knife, that is all you talking about here is an additional $20. I my opinion you want something big with the handle that is easy to find that has a serrated blade. pull and cut - its simple. not waste all that time trying to find the item on your BCD, then unfolding it, or trying to get your fingers in the holes, all valuable time i you are feeling the need to breath. and lets factor in the possibility of restricted movement.

its a safety device for "what if" situations.

The only knife i will every use is the Victory

offshoreworkersstore.com

happy diving

I'd suggest a good pocket knife from Spyderco with the H1 nitrogen steel that doesn't rust at all. Most of the "dive" knives are made from junk metal. I'd rather have a knife of good quality made by a real knife company instead of Chinese-made craps with various dive gears manufacturers' names stamped on them.

Back
Top Bottom