Knighthawk question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfoster33702

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a new knighthawk that hasn't even been in the water yet. I'm worried that I might have gotten the wrong size. It's an XL and it seemed to fit well without a tank on it - it was nice and snug. The L that I tried on seemed too small right away.

The problem is, now that I have put a tank on it to start arranging my regs and such, the tank saaagggss really low and it feels like its pulling the BC off of me (not in the water). It hangs back so far, the 1st stage is about a foot behind my head (and down some). I'm sure it will improve in the water, but the jacket BC in my OW class doesn't hang off of me like that when Im out of the water.

I know that I need to try it in the water, but if it really is too large - I think the LDS would be more likely to offer an exchange if it hasn't been in the water yet.

Thanks
Jeff

I'm 5' 9", 180 lbs, and use a Large Knighthawk, no problems. You can adjust the strap in the back up higher a little bit and cinch the main tank strap so the tank rides up higher. Great BC IMO.

That puts it in perspective, thanks! :) Im 230lbs 5'11", so maybe the XL is the way to go :) The cumberbund does overlap completely though, as in, if I lose some weight, it might be too large.

Your hieght does not really matter the legth of the backplate is the same, not positive though. From my experience I cant really tell how a bc will work until Ive dove it a few times.

I dive a knighthawk and Im 6'2 278 lbs and its seems pretty short but underwater it does the job

JUMBO

I have the Ladyhawk. I assume that the Knighthawk has the same adjustable waist strap. You can shorten it by rethreading the strap and thus making it fit more snug against your waist.
For what it's worth, my tank sits high and the bottom is not down around my knees like I see the pictures in Scubadiving magazine. However, I place the tank further up than they do.

I am 6' 160 lbs and have a large. Seems loose and I can pitch it around, when wearing my 4/3 wetsuit, but the medium was pretty tight. My cumberbund also overlaps all the way. I am sure much of this will change when I upgrade to a bulkier drysuit.

BTW I dive steel 100 cf tanks and keep my tank really high. I inverted my first stage to keep it out of my head. Otherwise I have a hard time maintaining proper trim.

scubamickey:
I have the Ladyhawk. I assume that the Knighthawk has the same adjustable waist strap. You can shorten it by rethreading the strap and thus making it fit more snug against your waist.
For what it's worth, my tank sits high and the bottom is not down around my knees like I see the pictures in Scubadiving magazine. However, I place the tank further up than they do.

The waist strap with the clip has adjustment both ways, so its OK. The velcro one on the waist is the one that seems to overlap completely. That one isn't adjustable and if I lose weight (Sometimes drop 20lbs in the summer), Im worried that it will be way too big. Im going to try to get to the LDS where I bought it today and ask them. They will also let me use the pool, so maybe Ill try it out in the water.

Thx
Jeff

Ok - went back to LDS and they exchanged it for a Large, per their suggestion.

However - I still have about the same issue....remember, Im in OW class right now, and have only had on their jacket style BCs so far. The issue is the plastic plate that the tank is firmly attached to seems to just float around inside the jacket, between the bladder and the rear padding. It give me the feeling that the tank is going to be flopping around back there. When I put the jacket on, tank attached, the tank bottom sags down to the back of my knees (well, almost) - and Im 5'11".

What gives?... am I going to have to bring this thing into the water, just to determine that it's not the right one for me, then sell it? ouch!

Jeff

Thats funny that someone has the same problems as me! I am 6' 210lbs and I have wondered the same thing. I have a large Knighthawk and the cumberbund is overlapping some. I am slightly (maybe a little more than slightly) overweight, and I plan on loosing weight soon. I wonder how the BC will fit me then. I also plan on doing some warm water dives this summer without my wet suit, I hope the BC wont be to big. I am getting an air fill tommorow so I will ask the LDS and let you know what they think.
I can tell you that once in the water the "sag" goes away. Once you get your weighting down... you can mess with the trim (using the trim pockets). To give you an idea with a 3mm shorty I use 4lbs, 1lb in each trim pocket and one in each ditchable pocket. The BC works great.
All BCs that I have used have that sag to them. I did uses a Dive Rite backplate BC that eliminated that

Actually, I will ask my LDS a couple of questions tomorrow and I will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom