Knives - Blunt tip vs. Drop point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Which do you use and why?

Other than the obvious:
"Blunt, so my clumsy buddy doesn't accidentally stab my BC!"

but since my buddy's the clumsy one, maybe the correct answer would be:
"Drop tip to protect myself from my clumsy buddy."

It doesn't really matter, as long as it's sharp. I also carry shears.

Phil

There are clean and crisp reasons for knife selection. As a spearfisherman I normally carry a slender stiletto, hard steel (not a drop point, dagger tip). When ground pounding, tanking, blowing bubbles in search of east coast oysters or west coast scallops, I carry a blunt tip, heavy knife, soft steel. When wrecking, I sometimes carry a SEAL combat style knife which can punch through rusty iron and sheet metal or cut wire. I never carry shears, darning needles or box cutters.

I have both a dagger-tip and blunt. I also carry shears.

If I'm spearfishing, then the dagger-tip is the knife I have, because I sometimes have to finish the job that the spear began.

If I'm not, then the dagger tip is just another thing for me to puncture myself with, and I take the blunt tip. The dagger tip is useless for prying (unless you want to break it!) where the blunt tip is quite useful for that purpose as well.

The shears are there for lines and such. While the notch in the knife works fine on mono, try cutting stainless leader material with it sometime - forgetaboutit. The shears go through it like butter.

Doesn't matter. The shape of the tip isn't the reason I decide for/against a knife.

R..

grunzster once bubbled...
Which do you use and why?

Other than the obvious:
"Blunt, so my clumsy buddy doesn't accidentally stab my BC!"

but since my buddy's the clumsy one, maybe the correct answer would be:
"Drop tip to protect myself from my clumsy buddy."

I prefer the blunt tip for everyday diving (don't do anytning else) that way I don't stab myself or equipment. I've got a tip made for prying without snapping the blade off, etc.

so Blunt because.
No accidental stab
No Tip to break off
Can pry with it.

my .02 cents.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
I prefer the blunt tip for everyday diving (don't do anytning else) that way I don't stab myself or equipment. I've got a tip made for prying without snapping the blade off, etc.

so Blunt because.
No accidental stab
No Tip to break off
Can pry with it.

my .02 cents.

A dive knife is not made to pry with. The steel is too brittle and the blade too sharp. Right tool for job...

Phil

pescador775 once bubbled...
I never carry shears, darning needles or box cutters.

I carry knitting needles to point out those not savvy enough to carry shears :mean: :D

MechDiver once bubbled...

A dive knife is not made to pry with. The steel is too brittle and the blade too sharp. Right tool for job...

Phil

I meant you can pry things like muscles (sp?) and other shellfishy things.

Back
Top Bottom