Knives - Blunt tip vs. Drop point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't matter. The shape of the tip isn't the reason I decide for/against a knife.

Well what about a knife that is the exact same model, but comes either blunt or pointed?

Here's another question I should have added before

steel or titanium?

I like a blunt tip knife. I won't accidentally stab something with it I shouldn't be stabbing. I can pry/bang on something with it without worrying about snapping off the tip.

I have a 420SS blade, but if I were to buy another knife I would go with titanium. You don't have to worry about corrosion as much. Every time I dive, I have to dismantle my knife, let it dry and give it a light coating of oil. It gets old FAST! I didn't do it once and left it for a day or two and then I spent forever buffing a couple of tiny rust spots that showed up...grrrrrr.

Omicron once bubbled...
Every time I dive, I have to dismantle my knife, let it dry and give it a light coating of oil. It gets old FAST! I didn't do it once and left it for a day or two and then I spent forever buffing a couple of tiny rust spots that showed up...grrrrrr.

Way too much trouble. Put a light coating of silicon grease on the knive and you'll be fine unless you rub it off.

Phil

is VERY brittle.

You can get away with prying with a 402 SS blunt-tip knife.

Try it with a Titanium knife and there is a very good chance that the blade will snap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom