Knives for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do wear the large dive knife on the inside of my calf, but I've been wearing it so long that if I took it off I'd wind up swimming in circles. It isn't a real good knife, but it works great as a prybar. I also carry a Trilobite and shears all the time and occationally other smaller, sharper knives and an old "dive tool". Take what you need and don't put them all in the same place.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I am a big fan of carrying EMS Shears, but, I still find myself carrying a 3" knife. I can't help it, I love my little knife on my BCD.
Functionally, I have never used a knife for more then prying on random things during surface intervals. In my limited experience, I have found that EMS Shears are the best bet for a safety tool. I have used shears for legitmate tangles, and have never used a knife for anything other then opening a bottled soda.

Puma Frogman, all the way :wink:

I carry a small blunt tip knife on my BCD. I have came close to using it to cut something underwater when I got tangled in fishing line, but I was able to untangle myself. Other than that I have used my knife as a screwdiver a couple of times when my tray handle on my camera was loose. Also sometimes during a quarry dive if my sons and I get bored we take out our knives and do our best imitation of an underwater knife fight.

Doesn't anybody remember Crocodile Dundee's famous quip? "that's not a knife, this is a knife" while pulling a cutlass from its sheath. I say go on E-bay and buy one of those leg strappin' monsters from the 70s. Good for cutting mono-filament, opening abalone and oysters, and building up calf muscles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom