Knock Off Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe comproni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any advise on a good knock off camera? This is new for me so lm looking for advise. Should I go with a used go pro 4 or a knock off that fits a go pro case.

I have an Intova, which I am learning to use. It was a lot less expensive than a GoPro, and doesn't need a case, the camera itself is protected. Customer service has been great and it seems to take quality videos

Avoid the "Tornadocam" knock-off gopros. I bought one, specs were lower than a regular gopro but should have been acceptable (1080p30 video). Unfortunately, the video it produces looks awful. Grainy even on the surface in full daylight.

I've heard of people getting good results from other knock-offs but I don't know where you could go to identify the good ones and the bad ones. Roll of the dice, I'm afraid. GoPro makes a great action camera, but the pricetag shows you just how proud of their products gopro is.

Love my Intova, but I have a model that's since been discontinued.

I have an Intova, which I am learning to use. It was a lot less expensive than a GoPro, and doesn't need a case, the camera itself is protected. Customer service has been great and it seems to take quality videos
What camera do you have?

My avatar was taken with my Intova.

The 7 Sjcam of various generations I've owned have been pretty good to me. Not the quality of a more expensive camera but quality per dollar I find them hard to beat except buying used.

Not sure how I feel about knowingly choosing low quality. Some people without the perspective of seeing what a good camera can do will be happy with it without a contrasting experience... Others like them because they are easy to replace and effortless to care for. I'm in the latter category... But it's been a year since my last was stolen and I spent the money on air fills instead for bottom time with my DSLR.

Regards,
Cameron

What camera do you have?
I have the inotova edge

Don't judge the quality of the camera on the quality of the videos. I suck at this so far, need to learn how to edit better.
Understand I dive the northeast so viz is not the best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071YTDBVJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_127_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1510947736&sr=8-127&keywords=underwater+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=51neUY9a5nL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

This looks like the camera I use. It takes decent video provided there is enough light to focus. I’ve had it to around 100ffw and it had no problems with leaking or buttons not working. I also have an Intova that takes awesome video but is only rated to 50 feet (I’ve had it to 60ffw with no problems). There’s lots of options out there if you know what features you are looking for and what you can do without.

Back
Top Bottom