Knowledge Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnPlayVA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is the knowledge review for PPB, Drift and FishID on the AOW DVD the same one that is used for the specialty?

Thanks, Kyphur - I know they usually are but I need to know if these three have just one KR or if there is a part 2.

For PPB I was instructed to use the Knowledge Review in my AID Manual.

Can't speak to the others as I haven't done those specialties.

Thanks - it just seems strange that there isn't a part two for the specialty certification vs the adventure dive that is part of AOW. Seems like there should be more to getting the certification I guess :wink:

Dive 1 of PPB is mostly for figuring proper weighting, I went from 22 to 14 lbs with an AL80 Tank! Once you have you weights right then you'll spend time u/w praticing using less air in your BC, hovering first horizontly then vertically feet down & feet up just to see the different bouyancy characteristics of each position. You should notice that your position in the water column changes more with you beathing so use this dive to practice breathing deeper (fuller lung volume) to begin ascending & breathing shallower (lesser lung volume) to begin descending).

Dive 2 of PPB is about Demonstration of PPB Skills which included:

Hovering in different positions is so much fun when you relaize you can now hover just inches from things you want to see.

Making depth changes by increasing/reducing lung volume.

And the most difficult (fun) one...

Being handed a 3lb lead weight while hovering,
adjusting to hold depth by changing lung volume only
remaining at same depth when the weight is removed by adjusting lung volume again.

HINT: shallow breathing with a little "extra" air in BC, as the weight approached your hand start to breath deeper so that by the time the weight is in your hand your bouyancy is already adjusting.

thanks kyphur, I have always wanted to know what was in the PPB class. Sounds like a cool class to take.

FWIW, I would recommend every new diver do the PPB Specialty.

It will help you really get properly weighted and you will use less air. BCD will need less air in the bladder, lungs will need less air once you're used to the new weighting as you'll be figiting with the inflator/moving your arms less.

Definately well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom