Ko Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soph

New
Reaction score
Hi there
I'm off to Ko Tao in a few days and was wondering whether anyone could suggest a good dive centre? I've been warned against the larger outfits and wanted to know of any good, smaller shops?

I was there two years ago for a week but I only dove with Planet SCUBA. Although their rental gear was often in questionable condition, their DM's were fine and the diving was usually interesting. Can't help you with the smaller operators though. The weather was good while I was there (some light rain) but I don't know about June.

Enjoy your trip.

Dr. Bill

deep blue. good rental gear. boat was large but they split us up in groups. there were4 of us with one divemaster. never felt crowded under water. overall, not a bad experience but in general i would prefer a smaller and faster boat. we were only there for 2 days and did not see anything more to our liking.

P.S. watch out for the coconuts or bring a helmet. after moped accidents the second leading cause of death on the island.

Was there in feb this year. Took my PADI OW with Big Buddha. One of the big operator, yes. But still, overall, it was quite satisfactory. 5 students in a group, and 2 additional AI for the training OW dives. Friendly and competent instructor. My only complaint is the dive boat. Crowded with many other dive groups. Doesn't help that they were using the thai traditional fishing boat.
Talked to some other divers there who recommended Caraboa Dive Center, which is just beside Big Buddha at Chalok beach. Its the first dive center to operate in Koh Tao, and it supposedly has better mantained equipments and smaller classes.

But if its fun/leisure diving, should definitely go with Caraboa. Coz the dive center will let you know before setting out which dive site you'll be going. Whereas for Big Buddha, they don't tell you till you're already on the boat. Also, Big Buddha does 4 dives a day! So the dives felt a bit hurried and the 1st dive of the day is really early. My friend hated it!
Then again, Caraboa let newly certified OW divers do night dive. Heard this from the newly certified diver himself. Was quite shocked to hear this! Is it actually ok to do night dives without AOW? can anyone enlighten me on this?

Anyways, I'm also going back to Koh Tao end of June. Have persuaded my friends to taking up their OW there, while I'll be diving. Do let us know your diving experiences there!
Have a great trip!!!

Will be interested in what Koh Tao is like in June. I've been debating when to go back (I was there in Feb or March last time).

Have you dived either Hainan Island, China, or Nha Trang, Vietnam?

Dr. Bill

Koh Tao should be fine in June. I was in Samui 3 years back in July and enjoyed clear sunny skies for 10 days! Online research has also indicated that its generally ok in June. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's stronger currents, lower vis or some rainy days. The thing is to not have high expectations.

Several reasons I'm going back there:
- loves the laid back atmosphere. (Not to mention there's loads of gorgeous men, both divers and non divers! :D )
- cheap. (diving is not exactly a cheap sport!)
Usually less than US$15 per dive if u'r doing more than 6 dives with the same dive center. cheaper means i can do more dives. More dives means more practice with my bouyancy control.
- although i did my OW there, didn't have time after to do fun dives and explore other dive sites. Which i'll wana do this time round.

Soon after i'm certified, SARS hit the asia region. So I've not had the chance to dive in China and vietnam. But I'll definitely want to dive and backpack around Vietnam once I have the chance.

Hi drbill,

June in Koh Tao is good; in fact the season is from March to early October.

In Thailand and Malaysia, it is all season of diving, March to October dive in the East Coast, October to April, dive in the West Coast. You could also try diving in Borneo and Indonesia, great diving at one of the top dive site.

Happy diving.

Hmm, I am not sure why someone might warn you regarding larger organizaiton. Personally I always stay at Ban's which is the largest dive center on the island and found them to be very well organized and the price is not really significantly more expensive.
I was there twice already this year, January was not so good, April was great and will go back there in 2 weeks.
Ban's boat get a bit crowded if you go on the student boat. They have 2 boats, one for mostly OW students and one fun dive boat which may have 1-2 group of smaller students group. When I was with the fun dive group in April, there were 2-3 divers per one dive master. I bring my own dive gears but noticed that some of their rental gear, especially BCs can be a bit ragged.
They will also post the dive sites a day in advance. The boat leave at 8 in am for 2 dives, return to the resort around noon and leave again between 12.45-1pm for the afternoon dives (2).
I don't have any experience with other dive centers there but since I was already happy with Ban's, I just never bother to look elsewhere.

Soph

i am right now in Koh Tao

a number of things to point out

1 alot of angry trigger fish here

2 the vis is real bad at the moment but that's due to the trade winds i think, so the water is stirred up quite a bit.

3 stay away from Ban's or budda view, and go with a smaller operator, where you will get better attention to your questions etc.

you have just missed the whale shark season :( but they will be back at some stage.

dive sites

cheapon pinnacle
twins
south west pinnacle
shark island
sail rock
red rock

mango bay and ah leuk are nice bays for open water trainning

these are good sites but depending on vis again, twins has a lot of triggers around so stay sharp, but then theirs sebastion to see, and his clever trick :)

caraboe as mentioned earlier is a nice relaxed DC but so is dive point, which has the best boat on the island, and u don't have to climb over 3-4 boats to get to yours, as like with budda and asia divers.

anyway all the best when you get here

emp,

Yap, watch out for those nasty trigger fish esp when she is alone. I was there when 1 of them turn nasty and attack us, you could see a clear marking on my buddy fin.

You want to see whale shark? Come back next March and April.

Back
Top Bottom