Koh Chang - how's the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be passing through Thailand in October, on the way to 10 days diving in Raja Ampat. Our Thai hosts have suggested we spend a couple days of hanging out together on Koh Chang. Our primary goal is to spend time with them (they don't dive) but we will have our gear with us, and was thinking of maybe getting in a dive or two as long as we're there.

I know the diving there on Chang won't exactly compare with Raja Ampat - that's OK - but I'm wondering what the diving there is like. How does it compare with, say, Koh Tao (been there, dove that)?

Also, how is the weather/dive conditions on Chang in mid-October?

Thanks.

The diving is ok. Very similar to the conditions in Pattaya/Sattahip. If you already there go for it, sometimes it can be surprisingly good, other times it's not so great. The biggest regrets I always have are the dives I didn't do when I could :) A mediocre dive in Thailand is still a lot better than sitting in the heat.

Mid October the conditions can be really good! We always have a period of very clear water around this time of the year. There will not be a lot of divers at this time, as the season starts in the beginning of November. The weather is fine most if the time, we're going towards the end of the rain season, so a sporadic shower is always possible.
You can always contact me for the actual conditions out at the dive sites when you're here on Koh Chang.

Diving in Koh Chang is well worth a go if you are there, not up to the same standard as the Andaman sea but I have enjoyed many good dives there.
My only criticism would be that some boats can be crowded during the high season and quite often cater towards snorklers or day trips, hence sometimes do not visit the best dive sites. But I dare say in October that should not be too much of a problem.
I dive several times a year now with Scuba Evolution who have their main shop in White sands. I have always been well looked after by these guys.

I have only dived Thailand in Pattaya and Koh Chang and must say that generally the diving in koh Chang is by far the best of the two.
However as the last post says select your DC with care as I was most disappointed with the last location I was taken, the trip was all about swimmers and snorklers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom