Koh Tao, Thailand - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok so where would an experienced diver go from bangkok to get some great diving in? I just got back from a month of diving the visayas (philippines) and N. Sulawesi (indonesia), so my standard has probably risen a bit!

Yes you probably have some high standards now! I wouldnt recommend Koh Tao, the best diving in Thailand in the Similan Islands, but the islands are closed from now until October... after that the diving in Phuket area is the best... daily dive trips can be arranged to all the local dive sites, including the King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point and in my opnion the best diving at Koh Phi Phi, where i have spotted leopard sharks, seahorses, turtles and more!
Although it is officially low season here in Phuket, the weather has been pretty good, and i was out diving yesterday on calm seas with around 10/15m vis. Not the best conditions, but still very nice!! Today the sun is out again but quite cloudy. Added to this is the large discounts you can recieve in all the hotels in Phuket due to low season.
You can get some very good day trips in Phuket, which include hotel transfers, food and drinks onboard.

so what are the prices like for diving in Phuket? For PI it was about 18 a tank or U$50 for unlimited dives per day (I usually did 4), accommodation was about 20-30 US.

In phuket the dive sites are located about an hour - two hours away from the main pier at Chalong. The price of day trip at the company i work for is 2,100 ($50US) Baht or 2,500 Baht ($60US) for 2 or 3 dives, depending on the intineary

The day trip price includes:

- Air-conditioned minibus transfer from/to your hotel in Patong, Kata, Kata Noi, Karon, Chalong & Rawai.
- Thai/Western Breakfast and lunch.
- Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Ice Cold, Soft Drinks and water all day.
- Fresh fruit all day.
- Filled Tanks.
- Weight Belts & Weights.
- Guided dives by our experienced tour leaders is small groups (maximum 4:1).
- Comprehensive insurance.

The price does not include:

- Equipment Rental (500 Baht/$12US per day).

Accomodation in Phuket starts for a guesthouse at around $10 per day going all the way up into the many of hundreds. Due to being such a large island there is plenty of accomodation available, especially now in low season.

For more information, you can visit http://www.white-bluedive.com and visit our day trip section.

I have the photo to prove the whaleshark does exist . Not a good photo and also not a very big whaleshark but still . Just circling around sail rock....november 2002

DORSETBOY:
be aware though that some unscrupulous dive shops have been known to tell people fictitious sightings of whale sharks to get 'bums on seats'!

i stayed at koh nang yuan and did my OW with them. they're very cool and helpful.

we did chumpon pinnacles and green rock and some other dives around the island. a bit crowded but not too much...

the island is wonderful, excelent food and, as soon as the day tourist leave the island, it can be very nice and quiet.
i wouldn't mind going back.

compared to koh nang yuan, koh tao looks like NY!

I lived and worked at Koh Nangyuan for 6 months... its a really great place... tropical island astmosphere... very quiet and peaceful. It can get buys during the day with day trip tourists and the rooms might be conisdered slightly pricey.. but this is for sure the best way to experience diving in the Koh Tao area....
They have their own speedboat.. and are the closet dive centre to Chumphon Pinnacle.... they are also one of the only companies to offer beach dives in the Koh Tao area.

Hi there

I am planning on going to Koh Tao to do my IDC, but cannot make up my mind where to stay or who to use. Any suggestions? I am thinking of staying on the island for 3 to 4 months. What do you think?

KiltGirl

i am sure there are many people here who can give you some good advice about which dive shop to use . But if I can give some advice it is dotry to vary your places where you learn to dive . I have dived with several divemasters for example who spent their whole diving experience in one location from open water to divemaster and they are not particulalry good !

DORSETBOY:
Jiveturkey is right, one way to get to chumpon for example and not have any other divers is to dive with a company like nangyuan divers and stay on their island. They're that much closer from nanyuan to chumpon than the other companies going from mae had that they can either get there earlier or after everyone else has left. Did a little bit of freelance with them and saw more sharks on those dives with them than on any other!

Hi,
I am heading a trip to Nangyuan in April 05 with a group of 16 - if you can give us any other info on the island and dive site this would be much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom