Komodo Dancer and the Alor Islands (anyone been there in June???)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I noticed they're running a 25% off buddy week on the Komodo Dancer June 5-15, 2012. Sometimes buddy weeks on Aggressor and Dancer Fleets tend to be planned during times of the year when the weather is off - but I know they only visit Alor during certain times of the year - so this might not be the case. I've also done a buddy week on Star Dancer (PNG) during a time of year when the weather is supposed to be optimal (and it was!).

Anyone ever been to Alor (on whatever liveaboard) during the month of June?

What kind of water temps can I expect?
Are the winds high with rough seas?

I know Alor is rumored to be a macro paradise - rivaling Lembeh Strait in North Sulawesi in some spots. I just did the Tropic Dancer in Palau in October and had an absolute blast! HOWEVER, I do think that my experience in PNG was better because of the emphasis on macro, the different types of diving (pinnacles/walls AND muck diving) and the far removed nature of that part of the world. Palau was much more mainstream with most dives being wall dives with a few wrecks. Because the diving was drift diving the stronger currents make this area more of a big animal destination. Which is up most divers alleys (mine too), but I do prefer more of a "way out in left field" type of diving - which PNG tends to be (and Indonesia from what I understand).

SO....any information on Alor's weather patterns throughout the year would be great - I'm very interested in finding this out. The dancer website tends to downplay "rainy season" times of the year...but since they only visit Alor during certain times than maybe this might be worth looking into.

Thanks!

You're likely to get a better answer that this, but I'll weigh in just in case you don't... I did land-based in Alor in mid March of this year (Eco Resort) where the resort was just reopening for the season (after the rainy season had ended), although we certainly had on and off rain during our week and resultant reduced vis. In talking the owner, he rated the optimal time for Alor as being October, but that the period from April to October and beyond was a good time to come. Water temps while I was there were probably 27-28c or so, and we didn't happen to get any of the huge fluctuations in temps that you apparently can get sometimes on some of the sites. Seas were calm during my visit...but then of course we only had daily boat trips and weren't on a liveaboard. As to the diving...fantastic! I'd highly recommend it...macro was awesome, not quite on a par with Lembeh but close...especially lots of rarer nudibranchs and we also saw a rhinopia, but also a nice mix of sites with a lot of very beautiful wall dives.

So in March, not June, and landbased not liveaboard, but might give you a little insight

Yes, this crosed my mind too as I booked the Komodo Dancer buddy week mid March [the end of the rainy season]

But, I figure I can not afford this trip at the full price
and, ok if it rains
- I may lose some light [I have two strobes on my camera]
- There may be a little more wind as we come out of the dive [I'm taking a dry suit]
- There may be a little poor vis/ run off from the land [I dive in the UK and I'm sure it will be better than that]

For me, bottom line ... go to Komodo at the end of rainy season or don't go to Komodo

I noticed they're running a 25% off buddy week on the Komodo Dancer June 5-15, 2012. Sometimes buddy weeks on Aggressor and Dancer Fleets tend to be planned during times of the year when the weather is off

@ewaiea - June is a great time to dive in and around Alor. Typically low wind, little rain, and exceptional visibility, as it's a shoulder season in southern Indonesia (after the rains/before the cool dry southern winds) and everything tends to be quiet calm then. For Alor you should expect 27 degrees, with the possibility of some cooler water being drawn up from the southern Indian Ocean, as the strongest currents always tend to be just after full moon (June 4th) and new moon (19th) respectfully, you should see the strongest currents and biggest temp fluctuations in the beginning of your trip (if at all, unless of course they take you diving down to the south, where it tends to be around 24 degrees at that time of year). Since the Alor area is a (relatively) small deep channel that runs between to large Islands, the boats are always usually protected from the larger swell that can come in from the south during the day, and then at night they take a protected anchorage in the large Kalabahi Bay connected to the east side of the channel, where you'll find all the critters.

The macro is wicked in Alor, really good stuff. And there's a few really great hidden muck gems between Maumere and Alor that you might dive, not sure about your full itinerary. Overall I feel Alor is a fantastic destination for both the big stuff, the coral reefs, and the macro all rolled into one tiny area. More and more liveaboards are going there throughout the year, and it's sure to be the next "big" destination.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom