Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Considering a trip to Komodo as my next big dive trip. Won’t lie the current situation is making me think twice. Will for sure plan the trip around a quarter moon when current is less. Three questions:

1) Recommendations for liveaboards? Main one I like the look of is Wunderpus. Anyone recommend? Others I should consider? My partner is Indonesian and basically says trust no one…

2) How best to prepare and what safety precautions? Plan to carry a Nautilus and PLB. Will do a drift course beforehand (I’ll have 80 logged dives and have my rescue certification). I feel like most diving doesn’t prepare one for such current so wondering how to prepare better ahead of time

3) Or should I consider somewhere else entirely (no planning constraints)? My dream diving consists of beautiful reefs (like Fiji) and awesome large pelegics (like Rangiroa)

Any tips or recommendations most appreciated. Thank you!!!

We did 5 nights on the Wonderpus (September 2019) and 12 nights (October 2022) so I highly recommend them considering your dive profile and concerns.

Due to the season, we were able to dive South, Central, and North. Additionally, we were able to hit all the big named sites and they timed the sites perfectly for current (meaning no current) and it was fantastic. It was like being in a swimming pool and we still had fish/manta action.

FWIW - I’m getting to be an old guy (60) and have a large camera rig so my heavy current days are done. Like yourself, I’ve read all the horror stories and have/had the same concerns you currently have today. Yes, things do happen but I have NO PROBLEM putting my trust and faith in this crew. My only regrets is that we didn’t go sooner.

Note: You will have a few drift dives but they drop you off at Point A and they will pick you up at Point B so you’ll be going with and not fighting it (plus it’s a shallow dive to boot (Manta Point).

We hope to return in 2025.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you further questions.

Hope this helps!

Wonderpus has another very good review on SB not too long ago.

Another great alternative(speak from experience).

Enjoy the trip.

Diving is all about having fun at your skill level without anxiety, but the more you dive in different environments, the better diver you will become. Having said that, if I have to work that hard in current, then the fun goes away and it's too much work. I researched Komodo and decided it's too much work. I'm going to Fiji next year. If your dream trip is to see beautiful reefs and soft coral, but not pelagics, go to Fiji first. Why wait....:wink:

Cauldron(Shot Gun) is the only site that I found the current to be too strong for comfort. You either use reef hook or bare hand to anchor yourself.
In some sites, the DM will jump into the water and check the current underneath.
Nothing to worry about.

I researched Komodo and decided it's too much work. I'm going to Fiji next year.

Very-experienced friends were in Komodo last month and did not like the current, including at least one major down-current—5 to 30 meters in a minute, bloodied hands from banging around. But don‘t leave your hook at home when you go to Fiji—there are significant currents in some dives, especially in the Bligh Waters and near Gau. You’ll love Fiji!

Very-experienced friends were in Komodo last month and did not like the current, including at least one major down-current—5 to 30 meters in a minute, bloodied hands from banging around. But don‘t leave your hook at home when you go to Fiji—there are significant currents in some dives, especially in the Bligh Waters and near Gau. You’ll love Fiji!
Do you know the time of their trip? Wondering if it coincided with the full or new moon?

We did 5 nights on the Wonderpus (September 2019) and 12 nights (October 2022) so I highly recommend them considering your dive profile and concerns.

Due to the season, we were able to dive South, Central, and North. Additionally, we were able to hit all the big named sites and they timed the sites perfectly for current (meaning no current) and it was fantastic. It was like being in a swimming pool and we still had fish/manta action.

FWIW - I’m getting to be an old guy (60) and have a large camera rig so my heavy current days are done. Like yourself, I’ve read all the horror stories and have/had the same concerns you currently have today. Yes, things do happen but I have NO PROBLEM putting my trust and faith in this crew. My only regrets is that we didn’t go sooner.

Note: You will have a few drift dives but they drop you off at Point A and they will pick you up at Point B so you’ll be going with and not fighting it (plus it’s a shallow dive to boot (Manta Point).

We hope to return in 2025.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you further questions.

Hope this helps!
Thank you!! Super great to hear!!!

They were there late April-early May

@noclondondives, FWIW, I came across this in a recent trip review on Undercurrent. "The diving in Komodo N.P. was more demanding than that in Raja Ampat. Currents were present on almost every dive, and up and down currents were not unusual. Several of the dives had strong currents that were not anticipated when we entered the water. All in all, a somewhat sobering experience for our self-opinion of our diving abilities."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom