Komodo vs. Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I could “love” and not just “like” your post!

When are you booked for Komodo? Thank you! You as well. I want to hear all about your trip out there!
Hi there, south Komodo water temperature can be as low as 70. Which wetsuit did you take and how did it work? I was perfectly happy 3m in warm water in PH. Options I considered is a buying hoodvest or 5mm and want to make it sure it is warm enough. I get cold pretty quick.

Hi there, south Komodo water temperature can be as low as 70. Which wetsuit did you take and how did it work? I was perfectly happy 3m in warm water in PH. Options I considered is a buying hoodvest or 5mm and want to make it sure it is warm enough. I get cold pretty quick.

We did north and central at the time so did not go to south. I’m a whimp and dived it with a 5mm, though to be fair, it is a super stretch neoprene that has compressed with diving. It was 78-86F at the time. I always travel with a hooded vest just in case, too.

We did north and central at the time so did not go to south. I’m a whimp and dived it with a 5mm, though to be fair, it is a super stretch neoprene that has compressed with diving. It was 78-86F at the time. I always travel with a hooded vest just in case, too.
I may have to consider 7mm for south then. I am a whimp too!

You should be ok with 3mm for Tubbataha. I have not dove there but it worked just fine for me in multiple areas in PH.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you remember the temps in Tubbataha when you went? Thanks!
I have not been Tubbataha. Remember, I was deciding between Komodo and Tubbataha and decided to go komodo first?

I believe it was 27 - 29 in areas I dove in the PH. Out of about 10 areas I dove, 3mm was good except for feeling a little chilly in Malapascua after I return to the boat (about 26). I used the same suit in Palau, Cozumel and Maui similar temperature as PH and 3mm was good. You might have already checked water temperature for Tubbataha. The link below looks good for monthly data. Sea water temperature Tubbataha Reef today. Mimaropa Philippines Asia.

Last edited:
I have not been Tubbataha. Remember, I was deciding between Komodo and Tubbataha and decided to go komodo first?

I believe it was 27 - 29 in areas I dove in the areas I dove. Out of about 10 areas I dove, 3mm was good except for feeling a little chilly in Malapascua after I return to the boat (about 26). I used the same suit in Palau, Cozumel and Maui similar temperature as PH and 3mm was good. You might have already checked water temperature for Tubbataha. The link below looks good for monthly data. Sea water temperature Tubbataha Reef today. Mimaropa Philippines Asia.

Oh duh! LOL. I got confused when you said i should be fine in a 3mm in Tubbataha and for some reason thought you dove it lol

Oh duh! LOL. I got confused when you said i should be fine in a 3mm in Tubbataha and for some reason thought you dove it lol
^^just wanted to clarify as you may want to hear from someone who has been to Tobbataha. At the same time I wanted to share my experiece as multiple areas I dove in the PH has same temperature (including a few trips in Palawan). Considering we both are whimps , I thought you may want to hear someone similar. I recently read things are getting better in Tubbataha thanks to their effort protecting the area. I can't wait to hear your experience when you return. Safe travels.

Tubattaha is better and have been there 3X albeit many yrs ago.
1. There are only handful of LOB diving the Reefs.
2. The wall is huge and very deep.
3. June is a bit too late weather-wise. Mid April to early May is my suggestion.

I believe in multi-layers than one thick one.

3. June is a bit too late weather-wise. Mid April to early May is my suggestion.

Tubbataha better, hmmmmmm. I am already booked for Komodo (late June). Penciled in for Tubbataha on the next trip, hopefully April or May. Many Thanks for your insight!

I have heard Komodo is better from people who have done both. I dove Komodo on a LOB last year and it was AMAZING. I dive Tubbataha in mid-late April 2018 so will update this thread for others searching this in the future though it probably won’t make a difference for your booking purposes now. Sorry! :)
Hello.
How was Tubbataha? Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom