Komodo vs. Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello.
How was Tubbataha? Thank you!

Komodo overall was better to me though Jessie Beasley Reef in Tubbataha was very good. Whale sharks win at Tubbataha but the number of manta rays win in Komodo. Both are worth doing but if I had to pick one, Komodo was more breathtaking for me as far as colors and variety. Currents were stronger in Komodo. I would dive both again. Tubbataha is probably more beginner friendly.

I’ve dived Komodo and Raja Ampat so I’m pretty finicky.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I understand about being finicky. I dove Komodo a year ago and it was amazing...but for me freezing at 24 degrees in early April. I have also been to Raja Ampat three times and am headed back there for my fourth trip next March and that's why I'm wondering if the Tubbataha liveaboard is worth it after being in Raja. If I don't go there I might try Bali Tulamben where I've never been and Komodo again and hope for warmer water....or back to Sulawesi!

I went to both Tubbataha and Komodo this year. Saw whale sharks repeatedly at Tubbataha as well as one hammerhead and one manta. Saw mantas repeatedly at Komodo and better coral and marine biodiversity, but no whale shark.

A video if my Komodo trip:

Two short clips from my Tubbataha trip:

Most divers will spend a lot of time looking out for pelagic in Tubattaha instead of the reef for obvious reason.
In Komodo, you look at the reef except on Manta Alley.
The deep wall in Tubattaha is the reason why I prefer it over Komodo.

See it with your own eyes and draw your own conclusion.

Thank you so much! I understand about being finicky. I dove Komodo a year ago and it was amazing...but for me freezing at 24 degrees in early April. I have also been to Raja Ampat three times and am headed back there for my fourth trip next March and that's why I'm wondering if the Tubbataha liveaboard is worth it after being in Raja. If I don't go there I might try Bali Tulamben where I've never been and Komodo again and hope for warmer water....or back to Sulawesi!
I've dove Tubbataha and Raja once each at this point. Not Komodo. I really enjoyed Tubbataha, we had great manta encounters, so many sharks I got bored of them, huge schools of fish, and one whale shark. And didn't have to freeze to see them. And there was some good reef stuff to see as well. But it was actually a fairly limited area with a small number of sites that we dove, and I don't know if that I would need to repeat the trip, unless maybe with friends who hadn't been there and wanted to go. I would say if you haven't done it yet, it's well worth doing.

Raja, I didn't happen to see nearly as much of the big stuff, but there is of course so much more there and I can see going back many times.

I agree with the others that Tubbataha is well worth going to if you haven’t yet and without a doubt, blows the Caribbean out of the water. The whale sharks are a definite highlight.

My highlight at Tubbataha was a Bow Mouth Guitar Shark. Only seen it on one of my trips. But had 10 minutes watching it feed and swim through the coral reef. I have seen lots of guitar sharks, but never these.
BM Gitar.jpg

I was there end of May, beginning of June, 3 years ago, on Philippine Siren. I had it all to myself for a while, and it didn't mind me being low down on the sand with it. But as soon as someone approached it from the back, it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom