Kona in Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi we are headed to Kona at the end of Dec to Jan. Can any recommend wetsuit thickness? Or water temps we can expect? Thanks

Hi we are headed to Kona at the end of Dec to Jan. Can any recommend wetsuit thickness? Or water temps we can expect? Thanks

I went last year in mid Dec. I used a 3mil wetsuit with no hood or gloves and was fine. Looking back at dive logs the water temps at Molokini crater were mid to upper 70's F.

Black Rock temps were similar but on the lower end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Typical temps for Kona are between 75 and 78F, with little variation, expect 75F in the winter. I dive a lot with a 3mm shorty or a 3mm full suit, sometimes a little cold after a couple long dives in the shorty. Add a little if you have a light build and carry no built-in insulation :wink:

One more comment can't hurt :wink:.

Water temps in Hawaii are often a bit cooler than folks expect. But the majority of folks will be perfectly comfortable in a 3mm full suit.

However, if you chill easily (like my wife) or are doing multiple dives during a dive day, a 5mm is not "overkill". You'll often catch the DM's wearing them on dive boats :wink:.

I dive a 3mm full suit year round in Hilo, and that keeps me plenty warm most of the time, and our water temps in Hilo average a couple degrees cooler than Kona. I use a 5mm hood and this helps keep me toasty.

Enjoy your trip!

I dive a 5mm full in Hawaii and never get cold without a hood. A lot of the dm's on maui dive 7mm with hoods. Temps I think are similar throughout the islands.

I'll be in the Hilo area in Feb... Based on my previous experience on the Kona side of the island, a 3-mil should be good, esp. if you have a hood you can add if necessary. Last winter in Kihei, I was starting to feel a little chilled at the end my third day of diving in a week, and should have put on my hood for that third day. Of course it depends on how you take the cold...I'm a thick-bodied type that doesn't mind being a little cold.

My husband and I both wear a 5ml and I add a lavacore top under mine!

Thanks all, might just pack the 5s. Can always cut the arms and legs short if we are too hot :)

I always dive a 5 ml and hood while on Kona. My husband dives a worn-out shorty. Obviously, it really depends on your temperature tolerance, especially at those mid-70 temps.
Jan should be a great time for seeing and hearing whales.

Back
Top Bottom