Kona Manta Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had an excellent experience with Kona Honu Divers. Others are likely just as good. Boat size is not as big a thing on this dive as others. More than one boat will be at the site, and divers from all boats congregate. While that sounds like a drag, a couple of dozen divers ( or more) in a large circle with dive lights shining toward the surface attracts the food source for the mantas and the mantas, and the "bubble aquarium" formed by the bubbles and light creates a beautiful scene. It is fantastic experience. Have a great time.
DivemasterDennis

I really enjoyed the operation by Mike and Nikki Milligan at Torpedo Tours. They were extremely helpful over the phone and full of great stories during the boat ride. They had great snacks and you'll really appreciate the hot shower available on the boat after the manta ray night dive.

And if you're a dog lover, their dog named Scout is a treat. He is super friendly and moves around the boat like he grew up on it (hint: he did). He was in the water with us at sunset when we were snorkeling with the rays before our dive. It was a great experience.

I highly recommend Torpedo Tours.
Hawaii Scuba Diving Kona

I've done the dive with Big Island Divers 7 times so far. A good resource is to look at their web site before you book, regardless of whom you book with - they have a count of how many mantas were spotted the prior night. While not a perfect indicator of the past, if you see numbers like 1, 2 or 3 a night every day for a week before you book, maybe it's not a risk you want to take. My very first manta dive had zero. Maxed at 24+, what an amazing experience!

Unfortunately, I can't give a review. Dive was cancelled due to rough seas. We had booked with Kona Diving Company and they seemed nice. Weather just wasn't permitting.

Shore dive at the hotel for mantas was too rough that night so we opt'ed for the Old Kona Airport. Had 2 mantas show up for our HID lights. Shallow 20-60ft. Take note of the direction of the current and start the opposite way so you can ride back to your entry. We left a flashing strobe in 10ft at our entry just out a bit from the shore line so it was easy to find our way back in. Good luck on your quest for mantas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom