Krabi vs. Koh Lanta Diving & Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be in Thailand during the middle of Feb and want to take a trip down South with a couple non-diver buddies, probably for 6-7 days. I've been to Thailand a couple dozen times, but this is both of their first times.

They just want to go somewhere with decent beaches and enough nightlife to find some trouble. I want some decent diving with short boat trips (maybe 10-25 mins), so that I can maximize my time there with my buddies.

I've been diving fairly extensively in the area (Malaysia, Indo, Gulf of Thailand, Philippines), so I'm not expecting the best of the best, but I wouldn't mind getting in some good shots and diving in warm water for a change. I'm an experienced diver (DM, CCR) and photographer/videographer.

Cost isn't so much of an issue and we prefer to spoil ourselves a little, time off from work being the biggest constraint.

So, given the above criteria, what advice can you give a fella? Please, only people who've been to and dived in these places.

From Ko Lanta you can do daytrips to excellent sites like Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Ko Ha and the Bida Islands of Phi-Phi. Ko Lanta has nice beaches and a laid-back atmosphere but I'm afraid not much of a nightlife scene.

Krabi (Ao Nang/Ao Phranang (Reillay Beach)) has beautiful beaches and offers more nightlife / shopping than Lanta but the local diving isn't all that great. Fortunately are the local diveshops offering daytrips to Shark-Point (Hin Musang), Anemone Reef, King Cruiser Wreck and the Phi-Phi Islands where the diving is much better than at the small local sites of Ao Nang. If you do decide to go to Krabi you may want to try to get a boat to Ko Yung (between Ao Nang and Phi-Phi) and dive the pinnacle there.

I've never been to Ko Lanta but I loved Krabi. As noted, decent night life and beaches but I really enjoyed the local diving too. We dove some small islands, 13 km south of Krabi (past Chicken Island) but I can not remember the timing of the trip - it didn't matter to us. We went by longtails with just my wife and myself - no guide, just a boat man that said "here, go" when we reached the site. We explored and were stunned by the variety and number of fish so close to shore. We never went beyond 18 meters. The best part was that you could not see another diver in th water for miles. The fish (and banded sea snakes) seemed to want to play with us all the time.

From Ko Lanta you can do daytrips to excellent sites like Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Ko Ha and the Bida Islands of Phi-Phi. Ko Lanta has nice beaches and a laid-back atmosphere but I'm afraid not much of a nightlife scene.

Krabi (Ao Nang/Ao Phranang (Reillay Beach)) has beautiful beaches and offers more nightlife / shopping than Lanta but the local diving isn't all that great. Fortunately are the local diveshops offering daytrips to Shark-Point (Hin Musang), Anemone Reef, King Cruiser Wreck and the Phi-Phi Islands where the diving is much better than at the small local sites of Ao Nang. If you do decide to go to Krabi you may want to try to get a boat to Ko Yung (between Ao Nang and Phi-Phi) and dive the pinnacle there.

Thanks for this info, both of you. Do you remember the approximate time of boat rides from both Krabi and Koh Lanta?

Thanks for this info, both of you. Do you remember the approximate time of boat rides from both Krabi and Koh Lanta?

If you stay on Lanta the dive-trips to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang/Ko Ha and PP basically take all day. It's a full day out. Boat rides may take up to 2 hours to reach the first divesite.

If you stay in Krabi and do the local sites it's a much shorter boat-ride. Most of the sites can be reached by longtail boat within 30 minutes either from Ao Nang or Reillay Beach. Some of the better sites are Ko See (real name "Laopih Nai"), Mae Urai and Ko Yawasam. There's a very nice underwater-tunnel going through Ko Yawabon which I loved to dive in the past (I'm a cavern diver Instructor) and which is an easy and safe swim-thru for beginner cave/cavern divers.
If you go to Shark Point or Phi-Phi from Krabi you will have a full day out at sea, similar like at Ko Lanta with boatrides up to 2 hours one way.

:D

Bowmouth, thanks for that info. It looks like Krabi is the way to go, both for the land-side activities, nightlife and also for the short boat rides. I know I'm not going to have the best diving, but at least I'll get to dive in a wet suit for a change.

Now my next question (sorry): Where should we stay? I'm willing to spend between $200-300 a night, I know that's quite a bit for Thailand, but it's for 3 people and we really would like to spare no expense when it comes to location, convenience (to nightlife and to marina for diving, etc.) and just a comfortable vacation in general.

This is my first vacation in years, and I plan to enjoy myself!

Hmmm, you're probably best of staying in a hotel at Ao Nang Beach for that's where most hotels, shops, dive operators, nightlife and restaurants can be found. I It may be best if you do some "Googling" and pick out a hotel yourself. I have stayed in the Maritime Hotel in Krabi Town which is nice but quite far away from both Ao Nang and Reillay Beach. Reillay Beach is probably also not the place for you to stay because you can only get there by boat and it hasn't as much entertainment as Ao Nang.

In short:
Krabi Town:
Pro's: Some good hotels, plenty of tasty Thai food, shopping and (Thai style) nightlife.
Con's: Far from the beaches and the diving.

Reillay Beach:
Pro's: Beautiful beaches, great rock-climbing, dive shops, some (bungalow-style) resorts and restaurants.
Con's: Can only be reached by boat and doesn't have much shopping or nightlife.

Ao Nang Beach (+ Hat Nopparathara):
Pro's: Nice beaches, LOTS of hotels and resorts, nightlife, shopping, restaurants and dive operators.
Con's: It still just isn't Phuket....

I just came back from Krabi. Keith at Railay Divers runs a good shop. The local diving varies, but you can hire a long tail boat along with snorkel gear from Keith's shop and go to Koh Si and Chicken Island with your non diving friends for snorkeling and a picnic lunch. This is a great way to avoid the crowds.

We stayed at Railay Bay Resort. I opted for the less expensive bungalows, but the upgrade is very nice. I think this would be a good choice.

PM if you want more details.

Good luck,

Arizona

Thanks for the help. I think Ao Nang Beach is definitely where we should stay. Any ideas on which place to stay at though? We're not looking to skimp. So far I've read about Krabi Resort and Aonang Villa Resort. They're at opposite ends of Ao Nang Beach. Is one better than the other? Is one more family oriented and the other more for young people, or is one end of the beach closer to nightlife, beach, diving?

So far I've read about Krabi Resort and Aonang Villa Resort. They're at opposite ends of Ao Nang Beach. Is one better than the other? Is one more family oriented and the other more for young people, or is one end of the beach closer to nightlife, beach, diving?

The end of the Ao Nang Villa Resort is imo the better end to stay. It's at the end where the road takes a sharp bend and leads to the small village. That road is packed with restaurants, shops, bars and resorts and is also the place where the longtail boats leave for the local diving.

The Krabi Resort end of the beach is close to Hat Nopparat Thara Beach which is beautiful but doesn't have much entertainment at all. There are some bars and restaurants on that end too but it's just not as nteresting as the Ao nang Villa Resort end. Also, Krabi Resort used to have lots of "old" folks staying there, mainly from Germany. Not sure if that has changed over the years but it was never a "hot spot" for young (and lively) people....

Ouch!!

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom