Kubi rings leaking badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love the Kubi system, but I’ve got a left glove leaking problem that is a nagging issue.

Maybe a month after I got them, the left glove started leaking. Right was fine. I lube with soap. Was hitting it before every dive so maybe that was a bit much. Pulled gloves off rings. Reinstalled. Gloves are transported on the suit, but the dive sites are sandy/gravelly so maybe a something got on O ring when I was taking suit off. The left glove was leaking with the glove installed by Kubi (they come that way).

Got spare O rings. Totally redid rings on new gloves. When I took the left sealing O ring off left glove, it was noticeably deformed. Right one was still okay looking, but I redid that one, too. I didn’t lube them at all this time, following the instructions.

Left glove totally flooded when diving last weekend. I could even feel a little bit of water sloshing around inside my glove when dive was over. This was the third dive day since I redid everything. Right glove liner was a little damp.

I’m using the Kubi gloves with Fourth Element fleece liners. I have DUI silicone zip seals.

I had contacted Kubi and they told to make sure no wrinkles when the O ring was put around the glove/ring. I see nothing. I’ve made sure the zip seals are completed sealed and on correctly.

But that damn left glove starts leaking as soon as I’m in the water. I filled left glove with water last night to check for leaks. Nothing.

Any ideas? Suggesting I switch to another glove system is not helpful. I love the Kubis. Extremely easy to get on myself. When they work, they’re great.

Can you just inflate the suit while you aren't wearing it, then use some soapy water to find the specific leak spot? When I installed my ring system, I had to track down a leak that turned out to be in the gule area rather than with the ring system connections.

I used a norwegian buoy to keep the neck sealed (with bonus hanging loop!), but I've used inflated balloons to block the neck as well.

I have an empty plastic vinegar jug that should work for the neck. I’ll try the test in a couple of days. I’m in the midst of packing up my gear to leave in a few hours to dive the next state over tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would replace the glove, there may be a small hole that you wouldn’t be able to detect by filling the glove with water.

Also sometimes the glove ring might not be fully seated in the suit ring or it could pop out a little if you are dealing with a bunch of faff prior to submerging.

If you post pictures there might be something else recognizable.

Have used Kubis for years. Virtually all of my leaks were from the gloves and excepting slashing the fingers, nearly always a tiny pinprick up at the top of the wrist, quite close to the glove rings.

So change the gloves. Better ask which gloves you're using -- are they the Marigold G17K gloves (or equivalent)? Those are black one side and white on the other -- reversable for that stealth look (black) or white which is better for people to see your hand signals. I buy these by the dozen from Amazon which lasts a year or two.

I had a mysterious leak over the past couple of dives; simply changed the glove and voila, no leak. Tip: mark an X on the duff glove with a marker pen.

Regarding the rings; make sure there's no hair caught. Unlikely as you've said its multiple dives. Otherwise pull off the red rings and check that they're not cracked; lightly grease with silicone grease.

To test, find a quiet room. Take glove ring and put under your chin and over your mouth then blow in. It *generally* (i.e. not always) reveals the tiniest of holes, generally near the ring. A quiet room as you won't hear the hiss. Having damp hands helps as the escaping air cools your hand.

Can’t post photos with the recent server issues.

Have used Kubis for years. Virtually all of my leaks were from the gloves and excepting slashing the fingers, nearly always a tiny pinprick up at the top of the wrist, quite close to the glove rings.

So change the gloves. Better ask which gloves you're using -- are they the Marigold G17K gloves (or equivalent)? Those are black one side and white on the other -- reversable for that stealth look (black) or white which is better for people to see your hand signals.

I had a mysterious leak over the past couple of dives; simply changed the glove and voila, no leak.

Regarding the rings; make sure there's no hair caught. Unlikely as you've said its multiple dives. Otherwise pull off the red rings and check that they're not cracked; lightly grease with silicone grease.

Yes, I’m using the G17 gloves. The fingers are a wee bit too long for me and they often get caught in a bolt snap gate when I’m gearing up. I dive SM exclusively. I had tried getting the heavier blue gloves on the rings when I first got them but had absolutely no luck with my hand strength so I gave up on that option.

Yes, I’m using the G17 gloves. The fingers are a wee bit too long for me and they often get caught in a bolt snap gate when I’m gearing up. I dive SM exclusively. I had tried getting the heavier blue gloves on the rings when I first got them but had absolutely no luck with my hand strength so I gave up on that option.

Know the problem well. Same here.

For sidemount I use a double-ender on the bungee loop. Makes it easier to grab and then you can pull the thing around the valve and leave it there. Might not look the neatest, but you can easily get the bungee off without splitting your gloves. I actually use a couple of shorter double-enders (think they came from a butt pouch).

When kitting up on the boat, the last thing I put on is my gloves. Always put on the stages and "other asorted crap" with the gloves last. There is very little more frustrating in diving than kitting up and splitting a glove whilst you do.

On my rebreather I have a couple of sidemount bungees but I've made a tail for them... You can see the tail on the RHS of the photo... Massively easier to manipulate with drygloves.

Sidemounted bailout 2.jpg

Know the problem well. Same here.

For sidemount I use a double-ender on the bungee loop. Makes it easier to grab and then you can pull the thing around the valve and leave it there. Might not look the neatest, but you can easily get the bungee off without splitting your gloves. I actually use a couple of shorter double-enders (think they came from a butt pouch).

When kitting up on the boat, the last thing I put on is my gloves. Always put on the stages and "other asorted crap" with the gloves last. There is very little more frustrating in diving than kitting up and splitting a glove whilst you do.

On my rebreather I have a couple of sidemount bungees but I've made a tail for them... You can see the tail on the RHS of the photo... Massively easier to manipulate with drygloves.

View attachment 679157

I have a pull loop integrated into my tank bungees. Helps enormously. But there are still bolt snaps to deal with when clipping my tanks on (I use top leashes) and clipping off long hose second stage. Deco bottle, too. I’m not boat diving at this time, so my tanks are put on in the water.

@Wibble

I’ll switch out gloves and report back after diving tomorrow. I’ve got enough time to switch out gloves before hitting the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom