La Jolla Cove parking - better on weekdays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

We've got a group of NorCal divers heading south in a couple of weeks. We've got several days of boat diving arranged but also plan to dive La Jolla Cove, probably on a Tuesday. I've read through several other threads and many mentioned parking problems on weekends. Are we likely to encounter parking problems on a Tuesday?

Also, what's the best local dive shop to get tanks filled if we want to do that between dives? I saw a mention of OEX dive shop and comments that they take a long time to do fills... Again, might we get faster service midweek?

Thanks,

-Barbara

Are we likely to encounter parking problems on a Tuesday?
Possibly. It depends what time of the day you arrive and how sunny it is. :D
There are paid parking structures nearby. Few locals would want to pay parking fees, though. I recommend temporarily parking your car in front of the grassy area, unloading your heavy dive gear, and then moving your car to a legitimate parking spot elsewhere. Even in the dead of summer, I generally can find parking a few blocks away. YMMV.
Also, what's the best local dive shop to get tanks filled if we want to do that between dives? I saw a mention of OEX dive shop and comments that they take a long time to do fills... Again, might we get faster service midweek?
Getting fills at OEX is always iffy...particularly during the summer. I'd guess that you shouldn't have any problems getting fills midweek, but you never know. I'm picturing your group coming into the store with 8 HP steel tanks to be filled. The kid sitting at the counter will shoot you a "look" that says: "Are you serious? You want me to fill all of those tanks. Now?" :cool2: I'm speaking from experience on this...

The next nearest place for fills is Sport Chalet in the UTC shopping mall a few miles away. Check store hours ahead of time. Ocean Enterprises in Clairemont Mesa will do fills while you wait. They also have banked 32% nitrox, but you probably won't need that for any of your Cove dives.

Have a great time!

Thanks for the info! Right now some people are trying to decide whether to bring down one tank or two...

If you arrive before 0930 you should be fine on a Tuesday. After 10am it may take some hunting but should be do-able if you are patient. Watch for signs that limit your parking to 3hrs. If you park in one of these spaces you won't be able to do a second dive unless you wipe the chalk off your tires. The above suggestion to drop your gear and find a spot to park is a good one, unless you come across a good spot on the drive in, then snatch it up!

x2 on Sport Chalet for your fills.

What's a "group"? If you have more than one vehicle, you should probably drop and park elsewhere, the likelihood of finding two or more spaces is going to be slim unless it's really early. I once found parking after dropping my gear/buddy at the Cove and continuing up Prospect - parallel parking in front of some houses - but it was about a mile walk back.

This would be my approach: Drive in on Prospect from the north. Where it splits and goes down to the Cove - at Coast, there's a sign - bear right - it's one way.

If you find any parking along there - take it, it's a short walk from the Cove anywhere along there. That might be the 3hr. parking though - there's a scenic view off the cliffs and the Cove so there's non-divers walking along there.

Once youi pass the Cove there's about 2-3 dozen spaces along the park before you drive back up the hill to meet Prospect.

If you don't find anything continue up the hill till Coast meets back up with Prospect - one way to the right past a retaining wall. As soon as you can double back on Prospect and stay right to about a block past the Coast split - i.e. don't go back down to the Cove.

To your left there's a (white?) bank building with a public (I'm sure it's paid) parking garage on the north end of the building. From there it's a short walk back down to the Cove.

Once we figured out a way from there (down the alley?) to what seemed to be a public access walkway that led down to the crosswalk across the street from the Cove itself. If you can't find it, it's a short walk back to Coast and back down to the Cove.

It's been a few years. So the only thing I'm certain of in that area is that the parking garage is still there - I just found it on Google Earth - 1202 Prospect St. I've been in a bar next door more recently but had to valet park there - mid-week but late afternoon.

Last edited:
Parking always sucks, but it's definitely worse on weekends. I've given up on trying to find free parking...I just pay the $10-$15 to park in one of the parking structures all day. Definitely more money than I'd like to spend just to park, but the convenience of not having to stress over parking/not walk a long way/be able to walk right back to my car if I forgot something/take my gear back when i wanna snorkel/freedive, is worth $10-$15 for me. Note, however, that the flat-rate structures won't let you leave and come back.

@diversteve: Your descriptions are right on the money. I love taking advantage of the public access walkway. :)
I've given up on trying to find free parking...I just pay the $10-$15 to park in one of the parking structures all day.
@diver_doug: Yikes! I've never parked in one of those parking structures. That's money that could be spent at Roppongi's Happy Hour (see below).

@bjd001: Another "free" option is to park up in the residential neighborhood near the intersection of Prospect St. and Cave St. In the middle of the summer, I have had to park near the intersection of Silverado St. and Exchange Place.

I realize that you didn't ask for any food/restaurant recommendations, but I couldn't resist. Diving makes me hungry. :)
For breakfast, I recommend trying the Coast Toast at Brockton Villa. It's very close by.
For fresh fish sandwiches to go, El Pescador is just a few blocks away. Kind of pricey but very tasty.
For lunch or dinner, George's At the Cove Ocean Terrace has spectacular views and pretty good food.
Roppongi has the best happy hour in the area. From 3-6pm daily, the entire Asian Tapas and Sushi menu is half-price. Try this. You'll thank me later.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice!

Bubbletrubble
: Thanks for the restaurant recommendations! Roppongi sounds good. By the way, we are staying in a rental house in Pacific Beach. I’m not very familiar with the area. Any good places we should try out for dinner? Maybe one good for a group (say 10-12) and someplace nice for an anniversary dinner?

diversteve: I’m not sure how many people plan to do the shore dive… We’ve got 7 or 8 divers signed up for the boat dives and some non-diving SO’s along for the trip. Sounds like we might want to carpool for the shore dives if possible.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Bubbletrubble
: Thanks for the restaurant recommendations! Roppongi sounds good. By the way, we are staying in a rental house in Pacific Beach. I’m not very familiar with the area. Any good places we should try out for dinner? Maybe one good for a group (say 10-12) and someplace nice for an anniversary dinner?
Pacific Beach (PB) is known for being frequented by the college crowd. It can be loud at all hours of the night. Just wanted to warn you about that.

Dinner for a group of 10-12:
  • With a large group for reasonably priced good food, I'd go for the Happy Hour at Roppongi. :) The service staff should be happy to put 2 or 3 tables together for you.
  • For little to no ambiance but great lobster tacos/burritos, Bahia Don Bravo in Bird Rock (5 minute drive from PB) is very good.
  • For beer lovers, Blind Lady Ale House in Normal Heights (15-20 minute drive from PB) would be a good choice. Tasty pizza. Delicious charcuterie and cheese plates.
  • Mexican restaurants in the Old Town area (10-15 minute drive from PB) can typically accommodate large groups. The food isn't super-great, but most of the restaurants offer large margaritas and everyone seems to have a good time.

Anniversary dinner for 2:
  • One of my top choices would be Cafe Chloe. Excellent French bistro fare in the downtown San Diego area (20 minute drive from PB). I had one of the most beautifully cooked fish dishes a few weeks ago. Uncomfortable chairs, though.
  • For sushi, I'm partial to Kaito Sushi in Encinitas (35-40 minute drive from PB). Sit at the bar and order omekase (name your price and chef will choose fish accordingly, e.g., $50-$100 pp).
  • For special occasions like an anniversary, Bertrand at Mister A's (Banker's Hill, 10-15 minute drive from PB) is quite good. Expensive.
  • George's At the Cove (La Jolla Cove area, 10 minute drive from PB) can be nice, too.
  • Another possibility for a small group would be Alchemy in South Park (25 minute drive from PB).

I am in San Diego once a month. Having grown up in SD i use to get to the Cove to Snorkel or Dive on Weekends early around 7 or 8am . I have notice over the years that they have painted the Curb Red in certain areas around the Cove that use to be parking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom