La Paz vs Loreto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rodrico99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
(Hello Greatful Diver?)
I'm going to be in Sea of Cortez in Nov. I have 2 or 3 days set aside for
diving. Which area has the better bang for the buck, Loreto or La Paz...?
I'm partial to deeper wall dives, big critters and small boats.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks, Rod

In La Paz, you are almost guaranteed sea lion diving and whale shark snorkeling that time of year. If you like larger animals, I would definitely suggest La Paz.

I just got back from two weeks in Loreto and we saw a few whales on the way to Isla Coronado but most of the stuff was not large. We spotted several Eagle Rays at Isla Danzante and everyone but me saw a "huge" green moray. The visibility was good for the most part (40-60 feet). We encountered a few sea lions at Isla Coronado and two of the pups swam right up to me. We dove with Blue Nation and they are "El Mejor." Overall I am not extremely impressed with the restaurants in Loreto but there are a few good ones. You either need to rent a car (and if you are a foreigner you will be buying a lot of insurance) or stay close to the marina. The view of the islands from Loreto is magnificiant and the islands are untouched, for the most part. According to the locals, if you want to see really big stuff you need to go to La Paz.

Any new recommendations for dive shops in La Paz? Looking to do a couple of days at the end of November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom