Lack of Decent Air Options to CZM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kicker1866

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe I am spoiled.....I live in Louisiana and have grown accustomed to being able to hope a connection to IAH and then direct down to the island. I am usually feeling Coz sun on my face within 6 hours of my first take off.
Generally, I can book 4 day long weekends with air and hotel for around $ 600.00 and usually pop down to the island about 4 times a year.

I've been looking and looking and cannot find anything. No direct flights or anything. Only options are criss-crossing the US and then it is about 3 times normal rates.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? My gills are drying out.

Cancun is usually a cheaper destination than Cozumel from many cities. I have yet to experience the luxury of a nonstop to Cozumel, since it's always hundreds of dollars more than Cancun.

Use Matrix.itasoftware.com and do a search for lowest airfare for 30 days. I found a flight for $587 (5 hours)

Well let's see, checked bag fees, select a seat fee, charge for using the bathroom, exit aisle seat fee, premium economy seat fee, change reservation fees, speak to a live agent fee, paper ticket fee....seems like customer service and satisfaction are way down on the airline importance chart, along with convenient flights. I can remember in the not that distant past getting flights from Houston (IAH) to Roatan (RTB) for $280 round trip.....not sure I know any specific reason for flight changes to CZM, but as mentioned, Cancun is the more traveled route.

Check Southwest to Cancun - not direct into CZM - but may be a good option - 1st two bags are free too :) Good luck

Now that the new international terminal has opened at Hobby Airport, it seems that some Southwest competition has lowered the cost of flying to Mexico and the Caribbean. Although Southwest does not yet fly to Cozumel; hopefully, they will soon.

Cheers
Charles

United has cut down on their flights alot. I like to come on Friday and have flown mostly united. Now no flights. I flew American in Sept and looks like I will be again in January.

American out of DFW. Daily flights. Not cheap(er) unless you watch every day and are prepared to pull the trigger. Apple vacations does run air only which used to mean lower prices on short notice but not so much anymore. DFW - CZM = $518 for sample dates early Nov. DEN - DFW - CZM = $513. Go figure. Both round trip $. Bag fees not included. Many more options to Cancun but then there is the bag drag to Coz. On the plus side there are 3 ferry companies running now from PDC to Coz. Took the new one in June and it was very easy.

Ever since Wilma (10 years now) - flights are significantly reduced in slow season (September until Thanksgiving) - sometimes they cut back as early as mid August. United only has I think 3 flights a week direct to CZM right now, Delta 2, and I believe that American still has a daily flight - or at least 4-5 a week.

I've got my phone set up to alert me when prices drop to a few of my favorite destinations. There are a number of websites that you can set up different routes, with your preferred prices. I always watch Coz/Cancun, but now that my daughter goes to school in Hawaii I watch that too. If you have the flexibility to jump on them, every once in awhile screamin' deals come around. I have yet to recognize any pattern or reason, it truly seems random and they're only available for a few hours. I got a great deal on both HNL and CZM this year :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom