Lack of Decent Air Options to CZM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone else seeing a huge limitation on air to Coz lately? I live in Louisiana and normally I fly down about 4 times a year for a long weekend of diving. Lately I cannot find decent routes. Normally I can leave home at 6 am and be on the island by noon with a connecting flight.....coming home is the same, but lately it just isn't there. I am seeing long layovers etc.

is it just me?

Options are always limited during slow season as mentioned in your previous thread about this topic. This has been the case since Wilma - 10 years ago - in fact - this week is the 10 year anniversary of Wilma - we were bracing for the storm at this moment 10 years ago!!

United is flying into Cozumel on Wed, Sat and Sun but I just got a Cozumel to Houston RT for $379. Or Try Cancun, the dreaded bag drag is not that bad at all. At every step you can find people ready to drag your bag for a few bucks.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

PS The ADO bus leaves right from the International Terminal every half hour and costs $10. Took me 1 hour 15 minutes last week. It drops you off very close to the Ferry in Playa Del Carmen and there are tricycle guys right there to help with bags.

Last edited:
Remember that Southwest does not show up on any of the Search Sites, like Expedia, ITA, etc. Southwest only books through its own website. And while Southwest does NOT fly direct into Cozumel, it has scheduled service from Houston Hobby into Cancun at some very reasonable fares. Not sure if it flies into Cancun from New Orleans (never looked), but there are several flights a day from New Orleans into Houston, and you SHOULD be able to book direct - you'll have to change planes, but your checked luggage (and SWA allows 2 checked bags FREE!) can go straight through. Yes, that means the bag drag, but, as Dave Dillehay said, that's really not all that bad - ADO Bus into PDC, Ferry to Cozumel, usually 1-1/2 to 3 hours, depending on connections and wait time for Ferry. And if you have to wait for the Ferry, sitting at a bar on the Playa Del Carmen Beach hardly counts as "travel time".

I read somewhere yesterday that SW will begin service from Houston to CZM in 2016!!! That is some great news if it actually materializes!

Also found some one-way November fares from MSP to CUN for $150 - $180 range on matrix - I know that's not your route - but it is a good indicator that there are some good fares out there - again, may have to go into CUN - but those are savings that make the bag drag worth it matrix.atasoftware.com you can also look at Funjet - they have had some pretty good packages

Anyone know what days SW flies into Cancun?

I believe that Southwest has 2 daily round trips from Houston Hobby into Cancun. It also flies from Atlanta into Cancun, at least one nonstop daily. Also one nonstop daily from Chicago Midway and Denver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom