Lacking Confidence!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterBaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I have just started my training and have had two sessions in the pool. On both occasions it has taken me nearly half of the time just getting used to breathing and being underwater! My husband, who also started at the same time, has already progressed to learning how to get into the water through backward rolls etc. I am learning to dive with a club and although they are great and have said that I can take it at my own pace I've been wondering how long it took people to feel comfortable with it all?? I really want to be able to explore all of the marine life and wrecks that are out there but I'm worried that I may never get my confidence levels high enough!! Any comments/anecdotes would be most welcome!!

We're all different. I think at least part of it is how comfortable in the water you are to start with. If that's the problem (and I have no idea of course) you might consider backing up a step and spending time in the water without scuba skin diving or even just swimming.

Aside from that, if you really want to dive you will. Contrary to what some would have you believe it isn't fore every one so if you decide you really just don't like that's ok too.

I wasn't very comfortable for the first several pool sessions. I remember the first time we were asked to clear our masks (in shallow water), I had a hard time breathing through my mouth while my mask was filled with water, and I couldn't do it. Then the next step was to take our masks off and I refused. At that point, I thought my scuba 'career' was over. I remember wondering if they could give me any kind of refund for the classes.

A day or so after that, I was back to wanting to learn to scuba dive, so I scheduled time to come in to the pool and practice mask clearing. It really sucked the first few times, but I kept doing it over and over. The next class session we were to go to the deep part of the pool, which sent a touch of panic through me. Somehow I made it through the skills, but I was not comfortable in the least. Again, I scheduled extra time in the pool by myself to just spend time underwater, practicing buoyancy, doing some skills but mostly just hanging out and getting used to how it felt.

It really seemed like every time I got in the water it felt better and I was more at ease. It was cool to see how my air consumption improved dramatically the more relaxed I was.

The first open-water dive I did brought back all of those feelings of anxiety, but each dive since has felt better and better. I only have 13 logged dives, but I can say that I feel SO much more at ease than I did at first -- it keeps getting better and more fun, and I'm so glad I didn't 'hang up my gear' at first like I was tempted to do. We did our first post-certification ocean dives a couple of weeks ago in the Virgin Islands, and it was so incredible that it still blows my mind to think about it. This is a great hobby. I think about diving all the time, and I want to keep practicing and getting better. There will always be something new to learn, which makes it very exciting.

It's true that diving isn't for everyone, but if it's something you really want to do, stick in there and take it at your own pace. Talk yourself through the anxious moments, and take a break if you need to. You can do this.

Angie

Waterbaby --

It's all new to you and perfectly normal to be uncomfortable with it. Take your time and go at your own pace... don't worry about who's got it the fastest and who's the slowest. Your instructor should be expecting people to move at different paces. Just let him/her know how you're feeling and they should work it out with you on your terms. It's okay so don't beat yourself up over it.

It all comes with practice and time.It took me 20-30 dives before I felt comfortable.

It's often been said that students that take longer to learn ,stay with the sport longer!

I am proof of that.Nothing in scuba came easy to me. Nothing.Even becomming an instructor.

I have been at scuba for 23 years.Have never gone longer than 8 weeks without a dive(pools in the winter) and with this wealth of of experience behind me am able to spot and help students overcome any anxieties or skills quickly.

PLEASE stay with it ! You will not ever regret it.

Ron

All of the other posts have made real good points.
I think 90% of the people that have done it for the first time feel some sort of discomfort breathing underwater for the first time... its just not natural (for humans that is).
Even if the skills feel uncomfortable - like everyone's said with more practice you will feel more comfortable and will enjoy each subsequent more.
I've learned to dive in high school which was awesome then I was out of it for a while and just getting back into. I spent some time in a pool to get re-familiarized with the process and to be honest I am still not at the comfort level I was at before. But I'll keep trying knowing that I will just keep getting better...

My wife took 10 minutes at the beginning of each lesson to get used again to being underwater. By the time we had the open water lessons there was no problem. :)

Thank You! I have read all of your replies and they have made me feel a lot happier!! I watched a video at the weekend about Anneka Rice scuba diving in the red sea and I can't wait to get to that level and see all of the marine life!! Your comments and encouragement have really made a difference and I have my next session this evening and am not feeling too apprehensive at all!!

Thanks again (this forum is fantastic!!)

WaterBaby
:crawl:

I had a pool session last night and I really enjoyed it. My instructor just let me get used to breathing underwater in my own time and by the end I was doing barrel rolls!!

WaterBaby:crawl:

See... nothing to it. Good for you!

woohoo.gif

It's all good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom