Lake Amistad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a pretty wicked cave down there.....

Yes, there is, but that would be off limits to the students in these classes. Now the instructors and DM, who are cave trained might check it out since we have the gps coordinates. :wink:

I would suggest getting someone with experience in Goodenough to take you there at first. From everything I've ever read, it's an extremely dangerous cave. I think it starts at 150ffw and has been explored down to 515ffw.

John,
I can't offer any first hand advice, but I will throw this out. Check out omnimap.com.
Texas Fishing Maps from Omni Resources.

They will have maps for Amistad and also Ouchita and Broken Bow. Rock Lake is private; it is in New Mexico; it is just outside of Santa Rosa, just off I-40 (approx). Let's see Santa Rosa is 8 hours from Arlington, tack on 3 hours to Austin, how about 11 hours?

I would suggest getting someone with experience in Goodenough to take you there at first. From everything I've ever read, it's an extremely dangerous cave. I think it starts at 150ffw and has been explored down to 515ffw.

I do appreciate your concern. Having looked at the cave profile drawn by Robert Laird, the opening is at 90' and the main cavern drops to 150'. This sounds deep, but it's not really for someone with the proper training and experience. I and the person I'd be diving it with are both cave and hypoxic trimix trained, and we both have experience in high flow caves deeper (much deeper) than 150'. We may stick our heads into the tunnel (aka fire hydrant) that has the really high flow and drops to 500'+, but we have no intention of exploring it on the first trip and maybe never.

You know the saying..."There are old divers and bold divers, but no old bold divers." I plan to be an old diver. :)

Besides, this trip isn't about the cave. It's about finding someplace to teach the classes. Does anyone know anything firsthand about Lake Amistad? Surely someone has been diving there!

No worries about your training....I know you're well trained and experienced....just seems that this particular cave has more warnings than other systems....if you dive it, take pics and post 'em up!

No worries about your training....I know you're well trained and experienced....just seems that this particular cave has more warnings than other systems....if you dive it, take pics and post 'em up!

You better believe I'll be bringing my camera and if I can take pictures I will! :D

John.....keep us posted as to what you guys decide on for your trip/training. Best of luck and wishes!

Back
Top Bottom