Lake Anna, VA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience in diving the Hot Side of Lake Anna (in Virginia) in Winter?

I'm dying here...haven't blown bubbles in a month. That was 39
degrees in a wetsuit in the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland diving for fossils.

I'd like to see what's in Lake Anna, but wondering about viz and
water temps on the hot side. Would also be interested in good
locations.

I have my own boat, so if someone wants to come and dive with my buddy and I to show us the local spots, let's talk.

Matt

I have heard about a lake in West Virginia called Mt.Storm. It is heated by a nearby power plant so water temps remain around 50-55 degrees all winter. It is also 3000 feet in elevation which is cool, you could ski half a day and dive the other half.

Mt. Storm's temperature is currently less than 48 degrees. My LDS had a dive planned, but we found out that in the winter time the locals burn firewood and don't use as much power. The power plant isn't fired up so the lake doesn't get heated. Ice was building up on the shoreline which created a new risk.

I'll sit on the side and monitor, I'm interested to see if there is any diving at Lake Anna.

Distraction:
Does anyone have any experience in diving the Hot Side of Lake Anna (in Virginia) in Winter?

I'm dying here...haven't blown bubbles in a month. That was 39
degrees in a wetsuit in the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland diving for fossils.

I'd like to see what's in Lake Anna, but wondering about viz and
water temps on the hot side. Would also be interested in good
locations.

I have my own boat, so if someone wants to come and dive with my buddy and I to show us the local spots, let's talk.

Matt

Matt,

I have been trying to find the same information you are . I want to dive the lake in April. I know that the water is about 52 degs. now 2/19/05 on the hot side. I know that the vis is about 3-5 feet in July on the weekends because of all the boats.
I figure April will be warm enough below and above with less boat traffic. I still can not find intesting spots.

Mike

Hi guys,

I saw the thread and thought I would call a couple of folks I know with Locust Grove Rescue Squad who dive Lake Anna as part of their training and coverage territory. I spoke with the president of the squad and he told me that the warm side of the lake is completely private and that there is no public ramps or access points that he is aware of. As far as he knew there weren't any regulations against the diving, you just need land owner permission to access the lake in that area. Water temps in the warm section are somewhere around 60 during the winter.

He did say that the area around Dike #3 was warmer than the rest of the lake because it is the primary spillway for the warm water into the colder. The big problems in this area are the current (millions of gallons of water come across the spillway), some turbidity from both the agitation of the water itself as well as the mixing of cold with warm and lots of lost fishing line. He also said it could be a pretty neat dive if you drop quickly to the bottom and then let the current carry you backwards as you crawl along the bottom holding onto rocks. Water temp in this area is somewhere in the 50's, depending on how far away from the dike you are. Access to this part of the lake is a launch at Pleasant's Landing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. If I get to dive the lake early this summer, I will post my log entry in detail.

jeadiver:
Hi guys,

I saw the thread and thought I would call a couple of folks I know with Locust Grove Rescue Squad who dive Lake Anna as part of their training and coverage territory. I spoke with the president of the squad and he told me that the warm side of the lake is completely private and that there is no public ramps or access points that he is aware of. As far as he knew there weren't any regulations against the diving, you just need land owner permission to access the lake in that area. Water temps in the warm section are somewhere around 60 during the winter.

He did say that the area around Dike #3 was warmer than the rest of the lake because it is the primary spillway for the warm water into the colder. The big problems in this area are the current (millions of gallons of water come across the spillway), some turbidity from both the agitation of the water itself as well as the mixing of cold with warm and lots of lost fishing line. He also said it could be a pretty neat dive if you drop quickly to the bottom and then let the current carry you backwards as you crawl along the bottom holding onto rocks. Water temp in this area is somewhere in the 50's, depending on how far away from the dike you are. Access to this part of the lake is a launch at Pleasant's Landing.

Hope this helps.

Did you ever get any information regarding diving the warm side of Lake Anna.

If so, I'd be interested.

If your access is limited, I may be able to help. I own a waterfront house on the warm side. I also have a couple of boats there. Access is not a problem.

The water temperature now (Feb 4, 2007) is 56 on my dock. Water clarity is about 10-15 ft of visibility. Over by the plant, the water temps are still in the 60's.

If you are interested in diving the warm side or have any insight about diving the warm side, please contact me.

A friend of mine has a house on the warm side, they are up there all the time, so I could probably go up there with them, but I don't have any equipment.

Thought I'd bring this old post back from the dead, has anyone dove LKA yet? I live on the warm side, and have a boat so if anyone is up for some fall/winter diving in relatively warm water, let's go exploring!

In a recent discussion with some locals, there is apparently an old stone bridge that was "sunk" when the built the lake from where the road used to go. There is also supposed to be a number of large pieces of heavy equipment still at the bottom due to the lake filling up sooner then expected (thanks hurricane). I'm still researching and trying to find more specifics on location, anyone interested please contact me!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom