Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you and I had a discussion about you diving wet, correct?
Yes.
Did you get chilled or cold in your 7 mil?
Yes.
Did you wear a lining or anything with it in that 54 degree water?
No.
Do you know an about temp where you started feeling the cold? I know it will be a little different for each person and dive but i am just trying to get a feel for what i am getting into.
I was cold as soon as I hit the water. I did not get Cold until after about 15 min. at depth.

I enjoy the little ride that Keowee gives at the hot hole, but the viz and all that mono filament make me wonder why I want to go back for a little ride.

Nuclear? That is my favorite sauce at Zaxby's.

How I wish I had a drysuit. :depressed:
I wish I had a drysuit too.:depressed: Ask Brandon at Off the Wall to try a Whites Fusion.

What site does the plan call for?

We are going to be diving Jan. 23 on the heated boat with the Tech guys over by the Junk/Wall.:D

That will be a good dive. Can't wait to join you out there.

Saturday was a great day of diving in the 44 degree surface tempuratures . I am glad that Bill has that awesome new HEATED boat. Boy did that help I was realy cold when I came up from the first dive .Temp.@ 50' to 64'was 49 degrees.Time under was41 minutes I was in a 5 mil wetsuit and hood ,glove wher only lite 1 mil burrrrr. It took me the hole 1 hour surface intervale for me to warm up. The second dive was a lot better for me one of the other divers on the boat with us loaned me an extra piar of 3mil glove (sorry I don't remember your name but thank you vary much for the use of yor 3ml gloves, that realy helped)dive time was 36 minutes max depth was 64' ,pritty much all the same as the first dive . This time I was just a little cold recover a lot quiker . THANKS to Bill and all his gang they where great to dive with . And nice to meet all the outher divers with us . Tony thanks for bringing me whith you

Sounds great. I wish I could have been there to meet you guys. I love the heater on board. I will probably be up at the ramp when it opens in a few weeks.

What kind of vis did you have?

What kind of vis did you have?

The viz was about 10 to 15 feet maybe a little more it was pritty good

If the sun would have been out I think the viz on the junk would have been excellent. I could clearly see the cabin from the front of the junk. 15+' was about the avg. The upper water column was really clear around 20-25' I could see the boats above me and Trip's silhouette standing on the boat. I wish I would have completely charged my camera and not left it on the night before! That requires two of these:shakehead::shakehead:! This other one was for turning off the function that cuts my camera off after being left on for so many minutes.:shakehead:

Last edited:
Tony thanks for bringing me whith you

No problem Ken, thanks for braving the cold to go with me!

On Saturday we did two dives with "Off the Wall"!

I am glad that Bill has that awesome new HEATED boat.
:thumbs-up I am glad the boat was heated or I would have been a divercicle on the surface interval.:rofl3:

It was a cloudy day with a hint of breeze from time to time. The surface was smooth until we got there. The temps were in the high 30's to 44 degrees when we got off the lake.

Dive 1

Max Depth- 64'
Time- 41 mins
Water temp- 50o
Air Temp- 39-40o
Heated Boat-64o
Viz- 15+'

The boat was tied off on the orange buoy. The other buoy(white) was about a foot under water. The lake is almost at full pool(97.7% full). We found the junk heading off the first line toward the south(I think). We circled it a few times from bottom to top. We could see the shadow of the ski boat so we followed a line to the rear of the of it. We then followed the line to where the air bell use to be. It seems to have collapsed or had been knocked over.:shakehead: We found the graveyard and casket that was set up for halloween. My feet and hands got chilled on the safety stop but other than that it was a good dive.

Dive 2

Max Depth- 63'
Time- 41 mins
Water temp- 50o
Air Temp- 44o
Heated Boat-67o
Viz- 15+'

We played checkers this time. Swam around the junk and the ski boat some more. There was some small bream inside the junk and no other fish in sight. We just pretty much pittled around. Two very nice dives with only cold feet and hands for me. I think I want to go dry!:D That is if my wife will approve of the funding for it.:rofl3:

I am also interest in why my sac rate was higher than usual. I wonder if it had to do with the cold? On my dive profile with AI after being under water for 15 mins my respirations went up until the end of the dive on both dives. I have always heard if you where hypothermic your respirations slowed and I did not feel cold. Maybe, I was colder than I thought. I am going to do an online :search: on this one and see if I can figure out what was up. Maybe it was fluke, maybe not!

Back
Top Bottom