Lake LBJ Lost GoPro - Have Coordinates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R1C0R4y

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently visited Horseshoe Bay for a milestone birthday for a lifelong friend when another friend dropped my GoPro (waterproof case - luckily) into Lake LBJ. Immediately upon the drop, I had another friend pin the location to get the longitude/latitude and also record the depth (20ft). Most important to us is the recorded memories so I'm hoping there may be a pro in this forum, living in the area, that I can work with to try and recover.

Here's a link to the Camp Champions which is close to the location that we pinned specifically to get an idea of the conditions.

Google Maps

Thanks in advance for any assistance/direction and look forward to hearing from you.

As well, I signed my wife and me up to get certified in the coming weeks. It's definitely a long shot that we make it back in three weeks (two, three-day day classes over two weekends) and find the GoPro but we are excited about the challenge and, if the off-chance suggests we would be successful, excitement of learning to dive. That said, does this endeavor sound feasible to you that are professionals in the space? We know the location, within a few feet, the depth, the visibility (which is little to none, and I'm willing to buy an underwater metal detector. With all that, do you think there's a chance? :)

I would not do the dive solo or with your newly minted wife as a buddy. Hire an instructor or DM to go with you. For my life and money, I would make the dive as part of a Search/Recovery specialty class. It may cost more for the instructor to make the dive at LBJ, but your chances of success will be much greater.

Don't know what the bottom is like where you will be searching. Most likely it will be mud. If that is the case then do what you can to not stir it up. Once stirred up, your vis will go to zero. You will lose contact with your buddy. Both can add a lot of stress for a newly minted diver.

In addition, you may well encounter a lot of saplings that have recently been drowned. They present a minor entanglement hazard. The biggest entanglement issue may be fishing lines. Tougher to deal with and probably outside your training. It's another stress factor and it is panic that kills most divers.

Have to agree with Driftwood on this one. I am a PSD in Texas and things can go south quick with fishing line and vis. I should be down at LBJ sometime this summer and would be more than willing to help you out. My buddys lake house is just on the other side of that camp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom