Lake Rawlings -- care to come?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to Lake Rawlings all the from Canada? I am confused, Lake Rawlings is about 2hrs from me. It is a great place to dive, but from Canada!

What? What? you don't think it's worth it?

Hehehe I'm down there on a vacation at that time. Will be visiting NC, doing some diving and generally have a good time.

Generally??

I'll say I'm impressed!
I contacted the folks at Lake Rawlings, with a few questions, and I received my answers very quickly and with sufficient detail I wasn't left with scratching my head trying to figure out what they meant.

An added plus.... they even have a link to Scubaboard!

Thanks Errol Duplessis.

BTW, here's what I asked, and their responses....

Question Can you tell me why the "no knife" rule? I don't have a problem with it, just curious.
Response We had a very serious problem with divers (and a few instructors/DM's) opening clams to feed the fish, puncturing surface buoys, cutting lines, etc., three years ago. The frequency was too much, so we decided to enforce the knife ban. So far, it is working. Occasionally, a six-pack Tony (there are macho divers who want to dive with sword-sized knives, one on each leg, arm and shoulder) will talk-back to us, but nothing serious.
(Here's their note about Freshwater clams )

Follow-up Thanks for the giggle about the "Rambo divers". I normally have two cutting devices - a z-knife and a pair of snips on my harness. I have no problems to remove the actual devices.
Response Divers are welcome to use snips and the z-knife at Lake Rawlings. These cutting tools have not been a problem.

Question I've looked at the map (http://www.lakerawlings.com/scubadiving/lr_diving_map_large.jpg ) but obviously I need new glasses or something, as I can not read the "sites" for the short and long tours, nor the "sites" indicated in the note on the map. Is it possible to either have a better jpg or the text for that portion of the map?
Response Double-click the jpg map, and a much larger version will appear to download. We have readable versions for sale at the Dive Shack.

Question Last but not least... the sites that are u/w, are they connected with rope, or do you take compass headings?
Response Yes, all of the sites in deep water are cabled with rope; the attractions in shallow water are buoyed from the surface, so compass navigation helps.

Wow... Thanks DivingGal, you actually answered a few questions I was going to mail them on since neither dave or I have been there either. Will be day for some fun exploration. See ya there!

No problem CR.... Errol will answer any question you have real quick (he's also a SBer, so you can PM him)

But the big one.....Are they open that Sunday???

Hey celtic...it just dawned on me....are there tables there...just a few??? If you could secure one of those that would be great.....see y'all there.

(ppsssttttt....diving gal....."see y'all there" is southern american meaning they plan to come and we will see them there and participate in verbal exchange and other social proprieties. OH....Are ya gonna bring yur no get wet suit>>?)

Yes they're open then.

Lake Rawlings - operations

Basically, during peak season (1 May to 30 Sep) they're open 9-5 on weekdays, 8-7 on Saturday, and 8-5 on Sunday.

Other times of the year you need reservations to be able to use the park.

<Rich... sometimes you are too funny for your own good! :D>

BTW the service fee for day is $17.50 USD (not Canadian hehehe ) Though they do have a "Weekend Special" for those gung-ho divers. For either a Friday-Saturday-Sunday or Saturday- Sunday-Monday it's $50.00 per diver

Back
Top Bottom